Red Fort, Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
November 3rd 2004
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gerry and Denise's Journey

Starting in London we travelled to India, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, US, London, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala, Cuba and back to London. Started October 2004, finished August 2005.

The Taj Mahal is not the only beautiful thing in Agra, there's also the Red Fort. It was begun by Akbar between 1565 and 1573. It is situated on the west bank of the Jumna River, about 2km upstream from the Taj Mahal. Akbar built the fort of sandstone; his grandson Shah Jahan, the builder of the Taj Mahal, constructed palaces of white marble within the fort itself. Shah Jahan was imprisoned in Agra Fort following the coup of his son, Aurangzeb, and died here in 1657.

Here are a few photos


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Red Fort, AgraRed Fort, Agra
Red Fort, Agra

This part is made from the same white marble as the Taj Mahal.
A pastoral sceneA pastoral scene
A pastoral scene

At last away from the city (Agra is a big, busy place). This is somewhere between Agra and our next destination, the Holy City of Varanasi. The train had stopped, again, and this was the view.
Denise 'praying' Denise 'praying'
Denise 'praying'

This is the women's mosque which was where the harem was in the fort.
Gerry in 'Women's Mosque'Gerry in 'Women's Mosque'
Gerry in 'Women's Mosque'

It's no longer a women's mosque. Spot that white marble again.
Big belly!Big belly!
Big belly!

You can just about see the Taj Mahal over my big belly! By the end of the year I will be slimmer.


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb