The Taj Mahal - deservedly one of the Wonders of the World


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
December 24th 2006
Published: December 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

StunningStunningStunning

Our first sight of the Taj Mahal
Christmas Eve!

After 2 nights in Delhi, we drove on to Agra, home of the Taj Mahal. We'd hired a car and driver for the week, along with guides in each place - was such a nice change to have such easy travelling - never had to even pick up my own bag - just sauntered out of the hotel door, into the open car door and whisked away to the next town - brilliant!

There's nothing much to see in Agra, but arrived and went straight off to join the crowds at the Taj Mahal. After queueing for quite a while, we finally got in and WOWWWW what a phenomenal sight it was! Have seen so many pictures of it, but nothing quite compares you for walking through an archway and suddenly seeing the sight of the HUGE stunning white marble building sitting perfectly against a blue sky background (the building is on a raised platform so that the only backdrop is sky), amisdt lovely symmetrical landscaped gardens and fountains.

Built as a mausoleum for the emperor's second wife, it is known as 'the largest building ever built for love'. The detail close up is stunning - the marble is covered with intricate inlay of semi-precious stones and carvings, and it's just sooo huge.

We stayed until sunset and watched the building turn golden in the dipping light - gorgeous. Had heard from some people that the Taj Mahal was a disappointment but completely disagree (despite the huuuge crowds that were there which kind of ruin the atmosphere) - was really amazing and a great way to spend Christmas Eve. Then it was back to the hotel for a big Christmas Eve indian buffet dinner!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

A closer viewA closer view
A closer view

Mum had a hard time trying to take a picture that wasn't wonky....after about 10 takes, we had to settle for this one!
A mosqueA mosque
A mosque

Two of these buildings surround the Taj Mahal, but are definitely overshadowed!


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb