Agra - Red Fort & Taj Mahal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
February 17th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 26.9847, 78.1019

Early start again with 8am leave. Slow trip out of Delhi, so much traffic and congestion. Cars, tucks, bikes, camels, cows & dogs all share the road, everything is overloaded. Makes for slow & interesting? trip, amazing there are no accidents and everyone just expects it. No road rules, our drive on the horn all the time. Finally made the freeway and sped up but still arrived late to Agra at 1pm.

Checked into Jaypee hotel, not as good as Trident but big rooms. Our rooms miles away from Reception & dining room, upstairs, along corridors then downstairs again, easy to get lost. Quick chinese lunch then off to Red Fort.

Red Fort, constructed in 1648 by the fifth Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, is named for its massive enclosing walls of red sandstone and is adjacent to the older Salimgarh Fort, built in 1546. The Red Fort was the residence of the Mughal emperor of India for nearly 200 years, until 1857. Very impressive built by true craftsmen, ovelooking the Taj Mahal on the river. Spent 1.5 hours walking around, very interesting the history.

Then to Taj Mahal which is stunning. Everyone really looking forward to this, should be a real highlight. Entry is very secure with patdowns & full search of handbags etc which took some time. Taj Mahal is an ivory-white marble mausoleum on the south bank of the Yamuna river in the Indian city of Agra. It was commissioned in 1632 by the Mughal emperor, Shah Jahan, to house the tomb of his favourite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Beautifully built, perfectly symmetrical with 4 minarets on each corner of the podium, with lots of history and stories but just amazing to see. Quite crowded but we were able to walk around, up onto the podium then inside. Inside not do impressive, not much natural light with 2 tombs laid out (his & hers). Presently cleaning the minarets, so scaffolding spoiling the view but still very impressive. Found a seat to sit in the front garden and watch as the sun set over the Taj Mahal, unfortunately hazy so not good light.

Back to hotel for buffet dinner, just acceptable, not much choice but filled us up.
Long day so off to bed, for another early start tomorrow for Jaipur.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb