Reflections on the last few weeks


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Vellore
August 24th 2014
Published: August 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Time is really whizzing by with now only 4 weeks of my 15 weeks left. The General Participants fly back 2 weeks today and then we will be involved in training the new National Volunteers and possibly meeting the new Team Leaders from the UK. Sadly, although I had every good intention of becoming fluent in Tamil I still only know a few phrases and have to keep saying "konjam Tamil" "Englandh" especially when their reply to my question is different from the stock phrase of I'm fine that we have learnt! I am hoping therefore that the training we will be offering will be English lessons as I might be able to manage those :-)

It has been challenging travelling between two teams and trying to give all of the volunteers the support they require especially with 11 International and 10 National volunteers requiring my attention. Next batch they will have four team leaders and place one in each location which will make life a lot easier for everyone. However, I have been lucky enough to take part in lots of events that the teams have organised and to see the needs of two very different areas. Also, travelling on buses alone has allowed me to have conversations (or attempt conversations) that would otherwise not have occurred and to gain more of an insight into life in Southern India today. On Friday we met an entrepreneur from Nimmiyampattu who wanted to know what we were doing and if he could help us in anyway. He was amazed that we were travelling around on local buses and living very modestly, although still in luxury to many here. We do have an inside toilet and brick walls with a proper roof over our heads). When he asked us what we missed and what we would like him to provide for us we struggled for an answer. While there are times when I crave a pizza, a Sunday roast, fast internet connection, the TV, a glass of wine or reliable water and electricity I can't say as though I have really missed anything (apart from friends and family) and certainly don't feel as though I have gone without. Having this experience without having to face a few difficulties and challenges would not be the same. Just this morning we were visited by monkeys who were trying to steal our food and go through our rubbish. My housemates were able to chase them off with a stick but not before the monkeys had spilt samba all over their clean washing.

I truly believe that everyone should have an opportunity like this as it makes you value what is really important, stops you sweating about the "small stuff" and gives you a chance to see what the needs of the community really are and how international development is working at a grassroots level. I also feel that I now have a new found patience which I didn't know existed! Taking part in International Youth Day and attending a Gratitude Day at the girls Auxilium College in Vellore were inspiring. Hearing the girls wishes and hopes for the future showed that encouraging youth to give their voice is so important. Completing the slogans "I can ..." and I want ..." many girls mentioned adopting a girl child to give them a free education; ending the dowry; helping the poor; campaigning for equality. We need to give these young people the opportunity and outlet to make these changes and achieve these goals.

Yesterday the Vellore 2 team organised a Career Fair. Although the turn out was not quite what we had hoped it was great to see many new faces at the Youth Resource Centre and to receive support from two other NGO's as well as the Panchayat leader and his crew. We even had 5 raffle prizes donated by local businesses and the Youth Leader. We hope that the next batch will be able to build on these new relationships to put on more events which will benefit the local community.

While in Vellore 1 I have found it easy to travel at the weekends and have enjoyed some much needed downtime with a weekend in Bangalore and a weekend in Mamallapuram (Mahabs). Great to see how Indians dress and act in the big city compared to the towns and villages we are working in with many girls in short skirts and tops or dresses, jeans, make up and openly smoking, dancing and drinking in the bars. Something that would be really frowned upon in any of my placements and something that felt quite odd to witness after almost nothing but girls and women wearing saris and salwars. Nevertheless, wonderful to see the freedom and presumably strength and guts to challenge the perception of women in Indian society. It was also interesting to note that they were talking to each other in English rather than Hindi or Tamil - perhaps a sign of wealth or education? It wasn't the right occasion to ask but it would be interesting to know.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb