Tour to Rameswaram. The sacred land/island of Lord Rama(Hindu Mythology)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Rameswaram
January 27th 2011
Published: January 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A journey to the sacred Rameswaram.. The land of Lord Rama..



It was an instant feeling that I thought of this trip. Was wondering how a pot of strong tea (thanks to Mrs Praveen for that) can inspire one to take quick decisions. So started of from Kochi a.k.a Ernakulam, Kerala in a deluxe 2x2 bus. KPN travels charged me Rs. 390/- to take me to Madurai, Tamil Nadu, where I would change for Rameswaram.

Journey from Kochi to Madurai was an event-less, sleepy 8 hours as the moonless night enveloped the otherwise picturesque Palakkad and Pollachi. At the cost of a roll of Gold Flake and Rs. 30/- , a helpful auto-rickshaw took me to a Tours & Travels who operates sight-seeing trips to Rameswaram and Kanyakumari. I had to pay Rs. 300, after a fruitless bargain, for a one way drop at Rameswaram; which i feel is a bit expensive for a 180 KM drive in a shaky mini-bus. A two-lane National Highway (49) in good condition took under 4 hours to Rameswaram. Beware of reckless drivers, stray cattle and chesty locals who consider the highway as their parental acquisition.

Touched down at noon into a hot and humid island just to find that I made a mistake traveling here alone. A local Police directive prohibits hotelier to provide accommodation to lone travelers as cases of suicides were rising in Rameswaram. I have to secure a written permission from the local police or bribe some corrupt hostels. Obviously I settled for the latter.

Rameswaram is a cool little island connected to the mainland India through a 2.5 KM long Pamban bridge above the calm Bay of Bengal . The main income is from tourism, visiting pilgrims from all parts of India and fishing. Rameswaram is popular in India due to its importance in epic Ramayana where it mentions Lord Rama came here searching for his beloved lady, Devi Sita, abducted by demon Ravana. The ramanatha swami temple is the prime attraction here. The temple requires a mention. A very big, which occupies 22 acres, stone construction accommodates various Hindu Devatas, 22 Ponds/Wells of holy water. I took around two hours to just look around and admire the art works before I left for the beach.

The beach can't boast of cleanliness and worthiness as human faeces and waste dumps finally ends up in the sea. Still it is considered sacred as people from all corners group here for poojas and to pay homage to their loved ones.

Food here is pure South-Indian. You'll find good quality Dosa, Idli, Ottappam, South-Indian meals at hotels near and around the temple. Couple of Non-vegetarian hotels are also available out-side the west entrance of the temple.

To summarize, A trip once to Rameswaram is worthy if your itinerary also include Dhanushkodi, my next destination..



Advertisement



11th December 2011

good comments
nice narration
11th December 2011

good comments
nice narration

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb