Maha - Mahabs


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Mahabalipuram
June 23rd 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

MAHABALIPURAM - Mahabs



Studying in chennai and not visiting mahabalipuram, also fondly called by locals as "Mahabs" is a sin. My college is at stone throw distance from Mahabs, so we do visit it frequently(at least planning to do so). The atmosphere in mahabs is absolutely stunning.

It is one of the favorite tourist destinations for foreigners in India, its got some amazing architectural beauties to boast about, and a great, colorful and vibrant beach, full with people of all ages enjoying themselves amidst the waves.

The most important tourist destinations to talk about are the shore temple and the Five rathas and the light house etc etc and the list goes on. The shore temple is located just adjacent to the mahabs beach and is said to have built from one single stone, amazing isn't it?

you can't just go on without praising and admiring the beauty of the sculptures all around the place.

History repeats



I've been mahabs a few years ago as a tourist and I was on a package trip, so couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked to , but always
The Five Rathas @ MahabsThe Five Rathas @ MahabsThe Five Rathas @ Mahabs

The Five Rathas @ Mahabs
wanted to come back to the place and explore it in much detail.

Now that I've got the chance to stay in chennai (near Manamai) for 1yr for my MBA, I'm sure I'm gonna get many more chances of visiting the beautiful place.

The shops along the beach have everything we need, from decorative items to shoes, almost everything and anything.....people fond of shopping would love the beach side shops.

The waves are pretty strong in mahabs, so I wouldn't advice people to venture deep into sea unless you are well versed with swimming. So no more advices, just go in big batches or teams and enjoy the place.

Another thing that Mahabs is known for is its "sea food", although a pure vegetarian like me has no incentive to visit mahabs for only sea food, my friends just enjoy the food there.

I'll be updating the blog more as and I make more trips to mahabs.

(Mahabs is around 60 KM from chennai and is well connected by the state government buses and private tour operators ply their vehicles at regular times from chennai)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Vamsi thrilled by the wavesVamsi thrilled by the waves
Vamsi thrilled by the waves

Vamsi thrilled by the waves
The powerful waves...dragging people backThe powerful waves...dragging people back
The powerful waves...dragging people back

The powerful waves...dragging people back :-)
Tuk Tuk to MahabsTuk Tuk to Mahabs
Tuk Tuk to Mahabs

The transport to Mahabs....the tuk tuks


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb