Two important temples


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Madurai
December 23rd 2016
Published: December 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Our last two stops, Ramaswaram and Madurai, are both dominated by significant temples.

These temples are massive structures and very highly significant to the Hindu faithful. As tourists we have been welcomed to observe the devotees but there have been a few conditions of entry. The core of each temple contains an artifact that is sacred. In the case of the temple in Ramaswaram it's a small mound of sand that was created by Rama's wife Siva to enable him to worship Shiva. The temple in Madurai is built to honour Meenakshi, a triple breasted woman whose superfluous breast would melt away when she met her husband who it transpired was to be Shiva. Each evening an icon of Shiva is trotted around the temple to spend the night in Meenakshis's shrine. We managed to chase after these carts as they get hauled around at great pace but were barred from entering the final destination.

Out of respect all visitors should be covered so you will see me in a borrowed dhoti from a very obliging carpet salesman. Apparently three quarter length shouts aren't covered enough.

Fascinating places that we couldn't photograph in but the images will linger for a long time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb