another layer of india captured


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Madurai
January 9th 2006
Published: January 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

hmmm. as you can see, we spent most of our time exploring Madurai's mazes of muddy back alleyways that were alive with flower and vegetable markets. while here, we ate wonderful south indian food for dirt cheap, hung out at a chi shop that was popular with the locals, and did some MAJOR people watching.

Madurai is an ancient city that possesses a funky clash between a tradition lifestyle and the rapid invasion of modern city life. a beautiful gigantic temple (Sri Meenakshi) rose up in the center, and inside the walls there was a quite, spiritual atmosphere.

outside, their was a fast paced urban life buzzing about with a mixture of beggars, taxis, and then random things like a funeral procession in the streest led by three camels and a band.

we know, we know... we went a little crazy on veggies and portraits - enjoy!

xoxo S & J



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

the most talented chi brewer in all of india!the most talented chi brewer in all of india!
the most talented chi brewer in all of india!

this man was on fire pouring boiling hot milk at full wing-span lengths from cup to cup to mix it with the chi tea and sugar.
potatoes to the sky!potatoes to the sky!
potatoes to the sky!

potatoes are in way too many yummy indian dishes... we can not avoid our daily dose(s)
this dude is making \"idly\"this dude is making \"idly\"
this dude is making \"idly\"

it is the closest thing we have found to bread... although it is made from fermented dal and rice flour, and then steamed. moist and dense... best with coconut chutney!
so we know our food is fresh... but not so... clean?so we know our food is fresh... but not so... clean?
so we know our food is fresh... but not so... clean?

there is no such thing as a super market here, but every city has small stands, a market, or both which sell abundant fresh fruits and veggies.
the hot climate here makes cucumbers grow 5 feet long!!the hot climate here makes cucumbers grow 5 feet long!!
the hot climate here makes cucumbers grow 5 feet long!!

just kidding... these are called snake gourds and they are still crazy!
Sri Meenskdhi templeSri Meenskdhi temple
Sri Meenskdhi temple

this temple occupies an area of 6 hectares - and has twelve towers ranging from 45-50 meters high
dancing to their deathdancing to their death
dancing to their death

ahhh, so excited for a good deep fry...


22nd January 2006

no such thing as winter
i just can't get over the colors. i think i say this all the time, but i'm in a snowy mountain town and all i want is to bury myself in some of those tomatoes. and that temple...wow. makes me think of mortal combat. i wish i could walk around with you for a day... love!
22nd January 2006

YAYYYYYY you're in the south...my favorite place in india. the beggers here---well in karala at least---ask for "school pens" instead of money. it's really sweet. this is a really well educated, clean part of india. take advantage and enjoy. you guys are really hitting up the villages---no bollywood!? no jewls!? no diamonds!? no fancy hotels!? :)
22nd January 2006

Girlies, you know that your blog made the front page of the site with this entry? Well-done and beautiful pictures! Miss ya
22nd January 2006

Jealousy
You girls! Wow! How amazing Jessie, I am so glad for you being able to experience this. I love that you are getting up close and personal, I wish I could be there with ya! I can imagine the smells and sounds must be amazing. have you guys done any yoga there? just curious, matt and I just got back from our yoga class. he says hi! Love Libby
24th January 2006

Gorgeous!!!
This pictures take my breath away every time I look at them. Although I wouldn't expect anything less from you girls!! Can't wait for more. Missing you always :)
27th January 2006

wow
You two have captured some of the most incredible photos throughout your trip. You guys need to set up a show or something of that sort when you return, I am so impressed!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb