WWF n Kenyans


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Madurai
November 4th 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey! Good morning from India.

I have a new passion though from the title you may have already guessed what it is. Ok, passion is too strong a word, but when on, I thoroughly enjoy watching WWF. I know, I know. I was one of you haters before, and with good reason. But putting judgements aside, this is why I enjoy it.

1) The comedy. Before every "match" there is always a meeting of teamates or the opposition in the hallway. Both men are always absrudly humungous and dressed only in spandex underwear. This is filmed in the mode of soap operas, you know, one shot that shows both faces and is held for minutes on end. These men, almost naked and usually with a "title belt" over their shoulders then get into the most serious of conversations, or more like back and forth monologues. It might go something like this (Two men with glasped hands staring at each other with as much emotion as they can muster like brothers about to go into an unwinnable battle together): "Triple H is going to try a seack attack. I need you there Saturday for the title fight. Together , with our power united, we can beat anyone. I, the emperor, will once again see the crown." Response: "I will be there for you brother. I, Rob Van Dam am a true friend. nothing will separate us. We will destroy them." Oh, I forgot to mention that the whole time a scantily clad woman is standing behind them looking back and forth between them with an expression that I can't really place. It kind looks like a mix between the shock of hearing a loved one is dead, and uncontrollable lust. Basically, Ive lnever seen it on a human in any other circumstance before, yet it is held for the entirety of the back stage meeting. No in a nutshell, they are the worst actors Ive ever seen, look hilarious, and have the worst script. Soccer dog or Shaolin soccer have nothing on them.

2) The action. It is so obviously faked that it should be in the paragraph above but yet so interesting because of the practice they must do to choreograph it. Honestly, the level of sohpistication is absolutely astounding. There will be 4 people in the ring at once and they will all be doing scripted moves at the same time making the ring look like the floor fo the New York City ballet. The only difference is you replace the anorexic women with steroid-taking giants and pirohettes with moves such as the "diamond cutter". To me the level of choreographing is far move sophisticated than ballet for what they are doing is actually quite dangerous. I bet that most of these men used to be gymnasts. The most amazing thing I saw was this: Two men were standing straight next to each other grappling about 5 feet away from the turnbuckle. A third climbed onto the turnbuckle and stood facing them. He then jumped off towards them, doing one forward flip and as he passed over their heads grabbed the head of the wrestler closer to the middle of the ring while he continued to flip. The did it just right so that the person he held wound up on his back for a pin. It may be choreographed, but a stunt like that woul impress me if done by the Circ de Soleil, let alone by two 300 pounds bohemoths. Im telling you, if you see it on, try watching it for second, its really something else.

Next subject. I realized that I ahvent said anything about my best friends here in Madurai. Bet you can't guess where theyr from. No, not India. Group from America. Nope. Europeans. Wrong continent. Its actualy this group of Kenyans who all study computer science study here in Madurai at different universities. They ahve all been here for at least 4 years without going back to Kenya, but remain so positive. They are all football mad and I have seen so few groups of friends enjoy each other's company to the extent that they do. Living in a house less than a 2 minute walk from mine are Edu and Ken, but every day at least 4 others show up. Edu is short with short dreads with a slow, "Yah mon" drawl and Ken is a bright eyed, enthusiastic guy. The regulars are Antony (wuite tall and definitely the smartest of the bunch), Ismael (a little above average size in all direction, quite, but always smiling), Commando (Nicknamed that because of being more than a little above average in all directions), Steve (Mr soccer stat "You know Rafa Benitez has changed someone in his team every game for the last 97?" "No, I didnt know that.") and last but not least the sole female of the crew Pati. The way they interect with each otehr is quite refreshing to see. Whenever anyone comes over they bring food for everyone, and when anyone gets money from Kenya they buy all the beers. Cooking is alos a cooperative endeavor with people taking turns cooking delicious Kenyan food while the others without having to be asked chop and prepare the food and others wash dishes after. It the kind fo thing that only works when every single person wants to do their share and no one is just going along for the ride. Well, maybe I do go along for the ride, but I do as much as they let me. Needless to say, I think they are very good friends and class individuals.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb