The inevitable happened!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Kodaikanal
January 17th 2014
Published: January 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We wound our way slowly up into the hills. The trip was slow but interesting as we passed pilgrims dressed in bright orange or blue jogging and walking up the hills, drove through villages with bullocks pulling laden carts, women doing the washing and the ubiquitous stalls. As we got higher we noticed colourful houses cascading down the hillside. At an altitude of 2133 metres we reached Kodaikanal. First impressions were not favourable, it is dirty and smelly and we wondered why we were here. There were issues with the hotel ( they insist it is not paid for) but they finally let us in. We headed out to Dominos Pizza for lunch and ordered vegetarian. It was very nice. Maddy was feeling poorly and didn't have any pizza. The poor thing did not make it back to the hotel. Roy was next to hang over the toilet bowl, quickly followed by Peter. Sue and I followed and Grant woke up ill in the night. Lois was the only one left standing. The next morning Lois, Sue and I felt better and went sightseeing with Antony, our driver. Turns our there are some very pretty parts of Kodaikanal and views across the range are spectacular. We visited a lovely church where we got mobbed. People like to get their photo taken with us which is slightly weird but we usually oblige.
When got back the others were out of bed so we headed out for a walk around the lake. The atmosphere was similar to a fair, with stalls, food and games as well as paddle boats and row boats on the lake. You could hire bicycles or ride a horse - we elected to walk. Everyone is jaded and queasy so we look forward to leaving.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb