A recent visit to VGP Universal Kingdom


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
January 11th 2014
Published: January 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

VGP Universal kingdom is an amusement park about 20 Kms from Chennai. This is one of the oldest amusement park and has been quite popular in Chennai in past. The place is popularly known as Golden beach.



I have visited the place atleat 5 times at different periods, first time probably in 1985. During that time (1985) the ticket was probably Rs 30/-. We could see shooting of some Tamil films. The overall impression was very exiting.


(The statue man in Golden Beach)Subsequently when I visited the place I did not find any substantial improvement. However I liked the statue man as I had demystified the statue man during my first visit (that it was a man and not a statue). But there was nothing much to be impressed beyond that. This time when I visited the place, I was quite dissatisfied. Instead of a film shooting studio it has turned into an ordinary amusement park with wheels and merry go rounds. Some of the old statues are very badly maintained. This time the entry ticket has been increased to Rs 225/- for person, camera ticket Rs 20/-, Video camera Rs 50/- etc. Although the ticket rates are increased the inside is not maintained properly. While some of the rides are free with the entry ticket, I found many of those rides were unmanned so no possibility of using them. While there are some additions like aqua kingdom etc. they are separately charged. The worst thing is that the total size of the park is very much reduced. While the cement boat was very much a part of the golden beach now it has been separated and the security guard did not allow us to go towards that side. In my opinion the standard of the park has greatly reduced over time. From a film shooting point it has reduced to an ordinary amusement park. You may like to watch my video of the golden beach in youtube.
<iframe style="color:� font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mzg7o-q51ZM" frameborder="0" width="480" height="360"></iframe>

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb