Auroville


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Auroville
September 10th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

LAURIE We realised that the heat was causing us and particularly Kym to be a bit dehydrated even though we were drinking lots of water. So Kym was very impressed when Margaret who lives in Cambodia said Coke was very good for oral rehydation in tropical area. It has lots of minerals and sugars. So Kym is very happy to insist every day to have his medicinal Coke, a whole 2 litres of it.

Pitchandikulim is part of Auroville. Now Auroville is a strange place. Established by The Mother, a devotee of Sri Aurobinda in 1968, "Auroville wants to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity" Joss the director of Pitchandikulim arrived here in the late 60's just when it was starting. It was then a barren wasteland and Joss got involved in reafforesting the area. That's nearly 40 yrs he's been here. So they've made mistakes but learnt a lot. He's shown us some of the other groups that are working on innovative ways to live. But I'm still not sure. There are some people doing some amazing things especially at PRBC. But it reminds me of Nimbin and Byron Bay areas that have been taken over by middle class (white) people in big houses who only think about themsleves. I don't really know though after 1 week here. I'm just a cynic from way back. But it is worth coming to see particularly Matrimandir, their temple/ meditation space. Just out of this world. Like a 1960's sci fi set.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb