Auroville et un petit peu de France en Inde


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Auroville
August 7th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ANGLAIS

Auroville. An experiment in human unity according to the blurb... ... . After 4 weeks or so as guests we're not sure what the results of the experiment are. We've seen no love-ins or any sacrifices, so it's safe to say that it's not a cult, (if it is it's a rubbish one) but it is slightly creepy that almost everywhere you look there are pictures of The Mother and Sri Aurobindo, the late spiritual leaders/founders of Auroville.

Overall it's been good being here. We've met some really welcoming and generous people, had time to meet with locals and Aurovillians (there is a difference) and will leave with good memories and having learned something: Nat, that she likes being and is an excellent teacher and for me, that I'd like to learn to make pots. Auroville seems like a good environment to spend a few years if you have a particular talent or skill that can be nurtured into a small scale business/cottage industry: be it making clothing from coconuts, practising Japanese style dentistry, or researching of the possibilities for changes in the human cell structure leading up to the next stage of human existence. You just need an open mind, money and to commit some time and effort to dedicate to it and the Auroville vision. For us for now, we're continuing our wanderings and heading for Delhi which will no doubt be mad chaos after here.

Spending time in a 60's inspired township of the future, plonked on some red earth with a sprinkling of Indian villages, first feels a little unreal. Kind of like a holiday camp. It's India but it's not. There are Aurovillians young and old, Indian and foreign, living in small communities (called Aspiration, Creativity, Fraternity and Hope amongst other things) nestled behind trees at the end of dirt tracks. Visually it's an enlivening blend of red earth, green foliage and blue skies, but instead of ramshackle huts you find these houses like you would have seen on 'Tomorrow's World' in '68. People run small businesses, scoot about helmetless on mopeds through forests to buy baguettes from the bakery, all the while being "willing servitors of the Divine Consciousness". The contrast in conditions (of locals and Aurovillians) is as ever blindingly obvious: we for example have a room with ceiling fan, separate kitchenette thing with fridge, a sink and gas burner and a tiled toilet/shower
The Auroville Language LabThe Auroville Language LabThe Auroville Language Lab

L'ecole de Nathalie
room with hotwater tank, whereas villagers collect water in pots from a tap in the street. In a place that's an experiment in unity, it's jarring all over again, but I suppose it's same the world over and I guess we ourselves are part of the problem.
[Click for Is this neo-colonialism?. It's worth mentioning here that before the Auro-pioneers arrived in the late 60's the place was apparently a tree-less mud flat all the way to the sea and since their arrival their dedication to afforestation and water management has made the land the relatively fertile eden-esque paradise it is today.

What's to do when you're here? Well, you could join a study group of Aurobindo or the Mothers writings, sign up for some watsu (water based shiatsu), sound or polarity therapy. You could practise Tai-Chi or play tennis. You can meditate in front of the largest man-made crystal in the world in the Matrimandir (Mother's temple) or watch movies at the multimedia centre auditorium, or rent bootlegged DVDs/CD's to watch at home. If you're really stuck for something to do on a rainy day you could simply dip into some the Mother or Sri Aurobindo's works on integral yoga, achieving one-ness with the divine and the next phase of human development, including her 13 volume Agenda and his 24000 verse poem Savitri. Further options are lazing on one of the Auroville beaches (in a bikini if you like), learning French/Italian/Tamil, getting blessed at temples in the villages, playing football at Certitude or swimming in the pool at New Creation.

If you're not growing yourself in a mental, physical or purely contemplative way you can do volunteer work in any number of areas: there are organic and vegan farms, schools (some advocating free and others, more measured progress), bakeries, a cheese making business, printers, paper makers. Then there are public/common facilities to run: Auro-radio, the community kitchen, the Town hall, ongoing Matrimandir construction...The list could go on but you get the picture.

The Matrimandir as you'd expect for the "soul of Auroville" is an impressive site: Big, round and gold. Inside is all white and clad in white marble. In the inner meditation chamber (reached by two spiralling walkways) is a massive crystal that's illuminated by a beam of sunlight or by a light bulb when it's cloudy. The octagonal space is surreal or maybe just eerie and begs quiet, which I suppose is the idea of a meditation space. The silence is deafening and while swallowing is difficult to do silently, a cough reverberates around the room, ending with a disturbing hissing sound. For me, stilling my mind and concentrating on my breathing for more than one breathe at a time was difficult. Both Nat and I both found ourselves wondering what the assembled meditators would do if we rushed the crystal and then, what a good idea it would be to "shoot down the wine shop after this", amongst other things. It's hard to empty your mind.

For real Aurovillians it appears that you have to subscribe to some degree to the Aurobindo-philosophy and then you have to offer some service or another to the community for free for a period. Then, once your 'Newcomer' probationary period is up, you can (if not black balled by a moody committee member) become a full fledged Aurovillian. This requires you to work and contribute to the community and to build yourself a house using ecologically aware and locally appropriate methods/materials, which then belongs to Auroville.

Talking of buildings I was surprised at the seeming lack of wind mills though I did see a place that was using cosmic energy as a power source. Not sure what that was. Some of the buildings here look amazing, some like something from 60's sci-fi and some like blocks of council flats.

For us, it's an opportunity to stop and look around for a few weeks, to soak up a little bit of our surroundings (though it's India but not India), to relax and to try something new. For Nathalie it's meant an initially busy schedule teaching French to 3 different groups of students: 6-10 year old beginners, 7-10 year old intermediates and adult beginners. My time has been a little more flexible and taken up with planing, sanding and sealing planks of wood at a carpentry workshop, weeding and planting at an organic farm and glaze mixing, kiln shelf painting and clay kneading at a pottery studio. All good for the soul as I think we needed a break from temple touring, though we've done some that here too.

After a couple of weeks hanging with the local carpenter guys, they seemed to see Auroville as a good thing: providing jobs, schools for the kids, training and no doubt a market for any number of businesses. However, for your average Jo(gesh), actually becoming an Aurovillian appears difficult if not impossible, given that the community contribution Aurovillians are required to make would soak up a large part of their monthly wage.

Auroville. Go there for a holiday, stay there for a month or not. It's up to you. We liked it....

Oh, and if you are approached by a flying black thing that looks like a beetle, don't hang around to chat, as it just wants to bite you. Best thing to do if one lands on your face, is not to fall of your motorbike, buy some ice-cream to control the swelling , take some painkillers and anti-histamines and when that fails to sort it go to the medical centre to get your lip injected and then pricked a further 20+ times with a needle to actually reduce the swelling. Like I say. Don't hang around.

As for Pondicherry itself. Half looks French, with a Hotel de Ville, rooftop terraces, an old soldiers meeting hall and Indian waiters greeting you with a "Bonsoir" along with the order and all the grey and white of the Aurobindo ashram affiliated buildings. In contrast the other half is more what you expect of an Indian city/town: the mish-mash of bike fixers, cloth sellers, stainless steel merchants, women begging with babes-in-arms, traffic, horns and temples.

FRENCH

Un mois nous avons passé à Auroville.
Auroville, c'est dans l'état du Tamil Nadu, tout près de Pondichéry.
Auroville, c'est quoi? Euh... Disons que... c'est une expérience... une expérience dont le but est de tester l’unité humaine et l'accession à la conscience divine.
Le mode d'emploi: les enseignements de Sri Aurobindo et de La Mère.
Le résultat: vue la complexité du mode d'emploi, pas encore de résultat définitif. L'expérience est toujours en cours (depuis 1968: date de la création d'Auroville).
Non, maman, rassure-toi: Auroville, ce n'est pas une secte... Même si parfois l'omniprésence des photos de La Mère et de Sri Aurobindo se veut un peu... oppressante?

Que peut-on bien faire à Auroville pendant 1 mois?
Mais plein, plein d'choses! Si ça vous tente, vous pouvez (pèle-mèle) vous mettre à l'étude des écrits de La Mère et de Sri Aurobindo, vous incrire à des cours de Tai-Chi, goûter au bien-être que procurent le watsu (du shiatsu dans l'eau... ou un truc dans l'genre), la thérapie du son ou bien la thérapie polaire...
Vous pouvez piquer une tête dans la piscine de New Creation, jouer au tennis, au foot ou au basket à Certitude. Vous pouvez apprendre une langue étrangère: tamoul, sanskrit ou bien un peu moins original: anglais, allemand, italien...
Vous pouvez aller au centre multimédia pour vous mater un film ou pour louer DVDs et CDs. Vous pouvez vous rendre au Matrimandir et méditer devant le plus gros globe de cristal du monde (70 cm de diamètre).
Vous pouvez encore vous rendre dans l'une des nombreuses bibliothèques d'Auroville et lire davantage à propos de:
- La Mère (dont le fameux Agenda de Mère, «plus de 6000 pages en 13 volumes et qui relate jour après jour, pendant 22 ans, l'exploration de Mère dans la conscience du corps et sa découverte d'un “mental cellulaire” capable de reformer la condition du corps et les lois de l'espèce, aussi radicalement qu'un jour les premiers balbutiements d'un “mental pensant” ont transformé les conditions de l'anthropoïde. »)... Ça vous en bouche un coin, hein?
- Sri Aurobindo (dont le fameux Savitri, poème épique de 24.000 vers blancs qui passe pour être le plus long de langue anglaise)... J'en ai lu quelques extraits et c'est vrai que c'est beau... mais pas forcément très compréhensible.
- etc...

A coté de toutes ces activités "passives" ou "comtemplatives", il est aussi possible d'être actif et de travailler (bénévolement) dans un certain nombre de domaines. Il y a des fermes organiques et végétaliennes, des boulangeries, des écoles (certaines pratiquant les méthodes de "libre progrès", d'autres "forçant" et mesurant un peu plus le progrès...). Il y a des artisants en tout genre (fabricant fromage, bijoux, cartes de voeux...). Il y a aussi des emplois dans le "service publique": à Auro-radio, à la cantine végétarienne municipale (la solar kitchen ou cuisine solaire), à la mairie, autour du Matrimandir, qui n'en finit pas de se contruire...

... Le Matrimandir, tient! Puisqu'on en parle! C'est supposé être le coeur d'Auroville. C'est une construction impressionante, étonnante, énorme, à la forme d'une grosse boule aplatie et ornée de disques dorés à l'or fin. L'intérieur est encore plus dingue. Tout est blanc, immaculé. L'atmosphère est vaporeuse. 2 élégantes spirales (géantes) conduisent jusqu'à la chambre de méditation, dallée de marbre blanc.
Jason et moi nous y sommes rendu pour tenter 1 heure de méditation... ce qui s'est révélé être un exercice plutôt difficile. Le silence à l'intérieur de la chambre est... assourdissant! (Jamais du silence ne m'a fait autant mal aux oreilles!)
J'essaye d'évacuer mon esprit de toute pensée, de me concentrer sur ma respiration tout en espérant que le divin (ne serait-ce même qu'une particule) prenne place...
Au lieu de tout ça, c'est un monologue intérieur qui commence :

J’me demande bien si les autres entendent quand j’avale ma salive?



Nathalie, c’est pas l’moment d’être prise d’une quinte de toux (...) Ça ne fait que 5 minutes que je suis assise dans la position du lotus et j’en ai déjà marre. En plus, je suis pas très à l’aise. Je vais m’allonger les jambes, tiens! Ça devrait être plus comfortable (...) 10 minutes. Oh là, là, maintenant j’me souviens pourquoi j’ vais plus à la messe. J’avais oublié à quel point ça peut être chiant. J’me souviens que juste après la communion, le moment de la délivrance n’était plus très loin... Encore une p’tite chanson (le chant d’sortie) et basta!
Là, on est encore loin d'être sortie d'l'auberge. Encore 50 minutes
à tenir (...) Qu’est-ce qu’on pourrait bien manger ce soir? Une pizza peut-être? J’boirais bien un p’tit verre de vino avec mon diner, tiens. Ça fait longtemps. Ah! Et puis il faut pas que j’oublie de faire les photocopies pour mon cours de lundi avec les adultes... Et pourquoi pas leur passer la chanson de Dutronc?
700 millions de chinois, et moi, et moi, et moi...
Ça leur fera réviser les nombres et les nationalités... J’me demande bien ce que tout’ l’ monde ferait si je brisais le globe de cristal, là, maintenant... C'est clair que je serais à la une d'Auro-news...

En résumé, en conclusion... Ça a été vraiment sympa d’être à Auroville pendant un mois. Allez-y! Venez-y!

Jason et moi avons tous les 2 été très occupés : moi avec mes cours de français aux enfants (tous les matins) et aux adultes (1 heure chaque soir). Je me suis tellement éclatée que j’aimerais bien recommencer!
Jason, lui, s’est essayé successivement aux métiers de charpentier, fermier et puis enfin potier. La poterie: nouvelle passion de sa vie ? Qui sait?

On a rencontré plein de gens, de tous les pays et de tous les ages. J’me suis fait des potes dans la catégorie des 7-10 ans. C’est vraiment fou tout’c’qu’on a en commun!

Quel bonheur aussi c’était de filer sur ma mobilette, les cheuveux au vent, le long des chemins de terre (rouge) qui sillonnent Auroville, tantôt sous l’ombre des arbres (certains aux belles fleurs rouges... encore du rouge), tantôt sous le soleil et le ciel bleu...

Jason, lui, avait opté pour une moto. (Ça tombe bien: il n’y a pas besoin de permis-moto en Inde. Enfin si, sauf que pratiquement personne n’en a.) Rassurez-vous: pas d’accident et seulement 1 évité de justesse (!) quand il s’est fait attaquer par un insecte volant non-identifié (on suspecte un scarabé mais rien de sur). Il a réussi à ne pas se planter de sa moto mais par contre, il s’est fait piquer en beauté à la lèvre inférieure et (paradoxalement) c’était pas joli à voir! Il a fallu aller chez le médecin pour littéralement « crever l’abcès » et se faire piquer à nouveau... mais cette fois dans les 2 fesses par une infirmière!
Petite parenthèse astrologique pour terminer... Il parait que les vierges, dans certaines circonstances (par exemple quand ils sont en convalescence), ils vont se réfugier «dans leur caverne» (They go into their cave) et ils n’en resortent que quand ils ont décidé qu’ils ont à nouveau envie de parler. Pas avant. Les scorpions: il faut faire attention parce que c’est une très mauvaise idée de déranger les vierges exprès et d’essayer de leur tirer les vers du nez alors qu’ils sont peinards «dans leur caverne» et qu’ils n’ont besoin d’aide de personne... C’est Roswitha qui m’a dit ça. Roswitha, c’était l’une de mes élèves dans mon cours (intensif s’il-vous-plait!) de français pour débutants. Elle étudie et pratique l’astrologie depuis plus de 20 ans. C’est marrant quand même parce que Jason, il est vierge et moi, je suis scorpion...





Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



13th September 2007

OH MY GOD JAY...
your lip!!! I have never seen anything like it. How much did that hurt?????? I am not going to India..ever :-)

Tot: 0.372s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb