Day 7,8, 9 - Udiapur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
May 9th 2010
Published: May 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got to Udaipur at six in the morning after an all night train ride. We found a place to stay that was cheap and had the highest roof top with a great view. That was the perfect combination for us. We walked the streets down to the lake that the town is centered around, and stared at the Lake Palace just on the other side. The lake is low because of low rainfalls the last four years. It is still very beautiful though. We walked through the streets and realized that this town was different than the others we have been to. It's under 500,000 people. It is quieter and cleaner than the other cities. We got to our roof top to eat breakfast, and seeing the captivating city landscape, a lake right by, and high hills surrounding the whole town we knew that this was a place to hunker down and get some rest for our long journey. Walking the town the first day we were invited into a family's house. They had a notebook of messages left from travelers from all over the world who had felt the warmth and kindness of their family. They invited us to come to eat that night and we happily agreed. In our exploration of the city we found many book stores. The books were very cheap and we wanted to relax. Sitting on the roof of our place reading Indian literature and philosophy sounded very relaxing. We had dinner and it was delicious and amazingly spicy. The family cooked over an open fire on their roof. We all shared drinks, sweets, and our food. We sat on the ground eating and asking each other about our cultures, and our lives. The next day we went sightseeing, but it was more low key then our sightseeing in the other cities. We went to a temple and the City Palace. That night we went to Monsoon Palace; which is at the top of a hill and provides a breathtaking view of the sunset. Yesterday Brad went to the island where the City Palace is, and I visited a Yoga Ashram. We met that afternoon and spent the rest of the day reading. Today we checked out, and are getting ready to take a train to Surat. We are on our way to the Ajanta Caves. Soon after that we will go to Bombay. Until then...


Additional photos below
Photos: 198, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th May 2010

Awesome!
I really like this city. It is amazing to see all the architecture and how they live. Why didn't you ride the elephants? Keep the blogs coming. This way I know you are still there!!
9th May 2010

sdaf
I am following you two...I am enjoying everything I am reading and seeing. Dont run out of peanuts brad. Brian... I love you
11th May 2010

cows
Can you dedicate an entry to the amount of cows wandering the streets and title it "an udder distraction"?...this would be great. also, peep Paul Theroux's Great Railway Bazaar safe journeys. -thurman murman
11th May 2010

i hope this link posts
if it did, read about this guy...then pay him a visit. just dont bring any food. http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/05/10/2299480.aspx?GT1=43001
12th May 2010

India
Going there with my wife who is from there June 22. Looking forward to many things, I have enjoyed reading your entries. I guess personal space really doesn't apply there my wife tells me.
18th May 2010

Caves
I saw pictures of the caves you are going to and they were unbelievable! Your pictures and updates are great and I am so happy for you both!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb