Week 9 - Ahmedabad – Udaipur – Mount Abu


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
December 12th 2008
Published: December 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

500 year old well500 year old well500 year old well

This multilayered well seems like nothing on the outside but inside its a cool retreat from Ahmedabad's heat.
The only reason we went from Mumbai to Ahmedbad was to pick up a connecting train to Udaipur, so we weren't expecting much and we weren't disappointed. Traffic, that's how I would describe the city. There was a nice temple, a few mosques and an interesting well but no getting away from the traffic. It wasn't even 7 lane highway type traffic that impresses by its shear volume. No, this was whiny little motorbike traffic that comes at you from every direction and beeps it's horn in your right in your ear.

On to Udaipur. Wow! Sitting on a rooftop having a coffee and gazing over the lake was the perfect way to start our time in Udaipur, the city made famous in the movie Octopussy. Sitting on a rooftop, watching the sun set over Udaipur's lake Palace and eating great food was the only way to end our visit to Udaipur. In the middle we spent a day wondering the narrow, but beautifully decorated hallways of the city place and hired an auto rickshaw to visit a slightly dilapidated palace perched on a hill over looking the entire city. Great views!

We had been told to visit Mount Abu by a number of people in Mumbai, so took a bus from Udaipur to this honeymoon town. We drove through desert scrub land for many hours before climbing the winding road to the hilly plateau. It was such a pleasant feeling to get off the bus and feel a little cold! While the town was nice, I enjoyed the cool climate so much more. We even had to snuggle up in blankets at night because the temperature dropped to below 10c.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Wrapping up warm in Mount AbuWrapping up warm in Mount Abu
Wrapping up warm in Mount Abu

I was still wearing a T-Shirt!


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb