It's the Wrong Train Grommet!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
July 6th 2008
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We boarded our train for Hyderabad and after settling in and making our beds the Inspector duly arrived. This is where everything started going pear shaped. Not only did we have the wrong ticket, but we had the right but wrong train and the wrong compartment. Hmm let me try and explain. The train we were on was going to Hyderabad, but it was also going somewhere else 500kms in the wrong direction of Hyderabad and our ticket had us heading that way - that is though when the train stopped at 1.30am the following morning and split in two. With me so far?? The ticket office had booked us the wrong ticket and we were on the wrong side of the train by one compartment. A very kind gentleman helped us out and with the help of another, at 1.30am saw us all getting off the train and a general ticket being purchased for us at least to be getting back on the other side of the train heading for Hyderabad. Then a little group formed and they rang the Inspector on the other train and managed to get us back into an air con sleeper. It was a relief just to be able to be on the right train, going in the right direction. Having an air con sleeper was a bonus. They even wanted to pay for our tickets because of the error, but we absolutely refused as they had gone over and above in helping us as it was.

We arrived finally safe and sound in Hyderabad and decided we would just go straight to the airport for the flight to Ahmedabad. Nothing else eventful happened and after getting off our flight we had a day in Ahmedabad doing necessary little jobs before departing for a short overnight train to Udaipur. And here we are on day one.

We are in an amazing hotel. Very Posh. Excellent swimming pool and the views over to the City Palace are amazing. We have been on a boat trip on Lake Pichola where we looked at Jagmandor and Jagniwas Islands. The latter being the home of the Lake Palace Hotel famed in Octopussy. The waters are very low and are a constant concern here. We explored the city palace with its many balconies, towers, domes, arches, stained glass and mirrorwork all backdropped by marble. This is the India that we all think of - it is simply stunning. The views over the lake and town from the upper terraces are breathtaking. The Palace is the largest in Rajasthan and the current ruler is the the 76th from the same family dynasty. We are here for four days - woohoo - so there will be lots of exploring to do!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb