The City Blue and the Poor Monsoon


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
December 5th 2007
Published: December 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Blue city sunriseBlue city sunriseBlue city sunrise

I took like 10 photos of that sunrise, it was amazing.
JODHPUR

We arrived in Jodhpur after my first - believe it or not - encounter with India's train system after an entire month of India-ing. All things considered it was a hell of a lot smoother than the buses and a tad more comfy. (My second encounter would change that slightly...)

At around 5am in the morning, there isn't much to do in Jodhpur other than find a base of operations and take numerous photos of a beautiful sunrise ascending over the blue city - which is exactly what we did.

The five of us: Alicia, Constance, Matt, Chris and I proceeded to visit the fort where the locals absolutely assaulted Constance (more commonly known by her professional name, Aisha). No thanks to Matt, who made them all aware of her superstardom by running up to her requesting an autograph in the middle of a rather ordinary "take a photo of the white girl" session. Poor Constance was left signing everything from paper to rupees for the next while...

Jodhpur fort was actually rather impressive, and allowed for a wicked view of the city and all its brahmanical houses (brahmin's houses were originally painted blue, but then
Fort from our rooftopFort from our rooftopFort from our rooftop

Every guesthouse comes with a rooftop. Wicked idea these Rajasthanis have come up with...
everyone sort of got onto it).

Other than eating extremely tasty masala omlettes (which I dont even know how to spell anymore thanks to Indian English) and drinking fruit beer (see photo), Jodhpur had little to offer us. Except, of course, for extremely cheap spices on account of Constance kicking some spice retailer ass! Booyah, Mr. First Flash!


UDAIPUR

Ms. Moneypenny, could you please fetch my exotic weapons, my snake charmer, and that bed of nails for me to kill these hired assassins? Much obliged, dear.

Watch Octopussy, and you'll get the gist (gyst?) of life in Udaipur - which, unbeknownst to most tourists, is approximately one boat ride away from the Taj Mahal and Varansi!!

Whats that? You can't find Octopussy on TBS or in your local video store? That's okay, any of Udaipur's guesthouses will gladly play it for you. Well, the second half anyway...

Less than stellar, on account of poor monsoons, we spent maybe 4 days in Udaipur eating, shopping, shilpgramming, and just hangin out. It was Constance's final days in India after 3+ months, so it was nice to just hang out and talk with the locals. Our
Atop the fortAtop the fortAtop the fort

Kingfisher cannon and the city blue
favourite was this kickass kid, Gangaram, who spoke little English but laughed histarically* every time you spoke it.

*(the spelling doesn't look right on that...hhhmmm, all these Meeresian menus and ads around India have forever corrupted my spelling....)

And that was the end of what i like to call Phase II. Constance took off to Mumbai and I, to Bundi...alone...except for the more than abundant wildlife of course........


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Aisha Superstar!Aisha Superstar!
Aisha Superstar!

And her legion of fans...
Lost maidens...Lost maidens...
Lost maidens...

Alicia hangin out in front of the hand prints of all the wives whom commited mass suicide along with their king.
Sheesha manSheesha man
Sheesha man

To conceive a beard like that, surely it was opium, not sheesha...
DaggersDaggers
Daggers

Some of the kickass daggers at the fort
MarketsMarkets
Markets

Spices and pastas
Fruit beerFruit beer
Fruit beer

Sans alcohol and no fruit juice used! Have I stumbled across irony, or is this just India?
Om shopOm shop
Om shop

As recommended by the lonely planet...we were assured....countless times...
Handy HennaHandy Henna
Handy Henna

Constance went through shit henna after shit henna before finally getting something good...
Holy manHoly man
Holy man

...about to get a whole lot holier after a few more tokes of that
Beige and GreenBeige and Green
Beige and Green

The rare Indian Hawk blends in with all environments
Palace detailsPalace details
Palace details

The city palace was rather disappointing, but I liked this colour of blue
The peacockThe peacock
The peacock

It's plumage spread - attracting all the women
Maharaja past-timeMaharaja past-time
Maharaja past-time

So, basically the City Palace is loaded with different 'depictions' of Maharaja's killing things.
India footIndia foot
India foot

Been workin on it for 1 month now


9th December 2007

the usghe
Love it! the usghe...

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb