Pimp My Palace


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
March 22nd 2007
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rajasthan is the “land of kings,” where every city has a fort, and every fort has a history chock full of daring soldiers and captivating maidens—all the stuff fairy tales are made of.

Udaipur, our first stop in the state, was a fine place for Jenny to live out her long-suppressed princess fantasies. There are no fewer than three stunning palaces in and around the lake-side city. The labyrinthine City Palace, built on a rise in the heart of town, draws the most visitors, with its fun house-style mirrored rooms, stained-glass windows and meticulously painted halls. If only “Cribs” was around in the 17th century.

Less maze-like but more magnificent was the Monsoon Palace, perched regally on a nearby mountain. On our way up the winding hillside, we passed a heap of mangled metal that was once an auto-rickshaw, much like the one we were riding in. With nervous, broken English and dramatic gestures, our driver painted a gruesome portrait of two German tourists, one unlucky rickshaw driver, and faulty breaks. It had just happened the day before.

Trying not to think of the carnage, we explored the now-abandoned palace, and Randy stumbled over a rock that turned out to be a large, and now rather frightened, tortoise. Udaipur’s third palace—the Lake Palace, which seems to float on water—was just a tiny speck from the heights of where we were.

Back in the narrow alleys of Udaipur’s central neighborhoods, we were entertained by the parades and processions that seemed to happen on a daily basis. Weddings, protests, festivals—to our untrained eyes they all looked the same: lively affairs with loud music, waving flags, and lots of cheering, chanting people, sometimes led by decorated elephants. Before a procession, people threw colored powder in thick lines on the streetsides to mark the route.

We were swept away by one parade, in which eager schoolboys slapped bindis on our foreheads with dollops of red paint, and Randy was nearly trampled by two cows spooked by celebratory fireworks. He felt lucky after hearing one horror story: A 72-year-old tourist was hospitalized after being gored by a bull that was jealous of peanuts the man was feeding to monkeys.

Udaipur is also a haven for shoppers: “You looking for place to spend your money?” one vendor called out to us as we walked by. Certainly there’s no shortage of options—heavy embroidered skirts, miniature paintings, mirror-work bags, and journals handcrafted from fabric or camel leather (one shady hawker whispered promises of cow leather). After shipping home stacks of journals (more than Jenny will be able to fill in a lifetime), we were ready to move on.

The bus to Kumbalgarh was hot and dusty, but offered a more intimate view of rural Rajasthani life than a speeding train. Gnarled old men led cows with brightly painted horns through desert tracts; in the shade of a few scattered trees, water buffaloes pulled wooden water wheels to irrigate thirsty crops.

In Kumbalgarh, we saw a fort so well protected it was only taken by an invading army once in its entire history. It couldn’t hurt to have the second longest wall in the world (36 kilometers) after China’s Great Wall.

We’ll pick up in Pushkar with a festival of color.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



23rd March 2007

Wow that's awesome
It sounds so cool. Ooooh I'm soooo jealous, I wish I could just get on a plane and come over and meet up with you guys! :)
23rd March 2007

county folk
Beautiful photo, very touching - maybe it's the grandmother in me. I loved Rajasthan (the shopping) was the best - even for a non shopper like me.
27th March 2007

prince charming
Hmmm, perhaps Jenny has already met and is traveling with her prince! As usual, great photos and story that allow us arm chair travelers to enjoy your trip with out the hardships!

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 90; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb