A Day in Mount Abu


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Mount Abu
December 16th 2010
Published: December 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

December 16, 2010: Mt. Abu

Sam Wrote:

We met with our guide, Dalpat Singh Rathore, promptly at 10am. Our first stop was St. Mary’s School – where I attended over 40 years ago. The school still looks the same but they have obviously expanded. For example, the school road from Abu road was all forest when I attended the school – now it has houses built on both sides all the way up.

The school had shut down for their winter break but some of the teachers were there and the day students were sporadically coming there with their parents to collect their report cards. We got to meet some of the staff and students. This school has definitely fared better than Bhavan’s in Baroda.

After that we went to visit the Patel Boarding House where I had boarded while attending St. Mary’s. The house looked the same with a few alterations. Sadly, Mrs. Ranjanben Patel had passed away a few years ago and her son, Jayesh Patel, had already locked up the house and gone to their family farm in Gujarat. Although we were unable to go inside the house, the caretaker allowed us to walk around the outside and enlightened us with all the changes that have taken place since my days. Incredibly, they board 72 students in a house that I would say is less than 3000 square feet. Our guide informed me that the Patel Boarding House charges in excess of Rupees 100,000 per student. Way to go Mr. Patel – I hope you choke on your one slice of bread and a cup of milk (a typical breakfast when I boarded here).

Some interesting facts about Mt. Abu:
• There are 15 private schools and over 70 boarding houses in Mt. Abu. Tourism and education are the main sources of revenue in Abu.
• Although the government has imposed a restriction of new development / construction in Abu, rampant expansion carries on
• The Indian Air Force has a base on the mountain even though there is no airstrip anywhere. It is a location where they send the senior officers to rest and relax.
• Abu is a major tourist destination for the local Indians, especially those from the state of Gujarat.
• It is also known as a Honeymoon destination but as our guide, Dalpat, said: A typical post wedding Hindu ceremony lasts for almost 6 months and by that time the bride is surely pregnant.

The Dilwara Temple we visited was something else. It was completed in the year 1045 and as per Dalpat, it is peak period of Hindu Art.

We culminated our city tour with the obligatory shopping stop. We then returned back to our hotel for lunch and a bit of rest.

Later that afternoon, we took the local Jeep Taxi back to the town center and apart from visiting the Ganesh Temple, rode horses along Nakki Lake.

An interesting fact about the local Jeep Taxis: I have personally seen them carry over 24 passengers and their belongings. It is shocking to see how people will adjust themselves in a tiny space. The driver of these Jeeps is practically sitting outside of the vehicle meanwhile driving like a race driver.

Dinner was back at the hotel, but unlike yesterday, we had the dining room to ourselves. Apparently the large tour group staying in the hotel had opted to have dinner in town.

We finally were able to upload part of our blog sine the hotel had an internet connection.



Yamini Wrote:

After breakfast we take a walk around the hotel before our guide meets us. What a refreshing feeling.

We meet our guide and head to Sam’s old school. I will let Sam elaborate on his school and boarding home. I must say, it was great to see him remember those good and not so good memories.

Our guide then takes us to Jaipur House, the former summer palace of the Maharajah of Jaipur, which is now a hotel. From here we see the best view of the Nakki Lake and Mt. Abu.

We then visited the Dilwara Jain Temple. Unfortunately, no photography was permitted in the temple. This temple is an example of India’s finest temple decoration. It is said that the artisans were paid in the amount of dust that was collected, encouraging them to carve more intricately. The marble work is so detailed and fine. The most incredible work of art I have ever seen. The work of this temple began in 1031 and lasted 14 years. The temple was completely financed by a Gujarati Minister named Vimal Visahi. It is alleged that the temple costs Rs. 180. 5 million to build during that time. Wow! A true work of art!

Next stop is to Honeymoon Point. A great place to overlook Mt. Abu and view the sunset. Our tour with our guide was now over. I must add that our guide Dalpat Singh Rathore, was very knowledgeable, not only about Mt. Abu but also religions. When we told him how we noticed how happy and stress –free we found people in India. He told us it was usually true, although he was an example of a family in some stress. His story is that he married a girl from a lower caste than he and he was and still is shunned upon by his own family and community. His father passed away and he lives with his mom and younger brother, therefore he is the head of the household. He told us that he got married two years ago and his mother still does not approve. He does live with his wife in a separate quarter of the house but his wife eats dinner with her family and he with his. I noted that Dalpat is a man that does what he believes is right and shares his thoughts. He is currently helping to support 12 underprivileged children with their schooling. He does this by selling CD’s that he has compiled. He is also working on 3 books. One is called “Welcome to the Wonder that is India”. I will sure look out for his book. We all enjoyed his guidance and charisma in Mt. Abu.

It was only early afternoon when our tour was complete, so we decided to have a quick bite to eat and head back into town.

We walked around town for a while then decided to walk to Ganesh Temple, which was a long walk from the lake but the kids managed just fine. To get to the temple we had to climb many steps (I think Shivani counted them). Once at the top, the view was stunning. We did our prayers at the small but serene Ganesh Shrine and headed back down the steps. At the bottom of the steps, there were a group of horses. We were asked if we would like to ride the horses back to the lake and both Shivani and Tejas got really excited as we had yet to cross that of our list of things to do. After Sam negotiated the price of 120 rupees we headed off on our individual horses. Both Shivani and Tejas thoroughly enjoyed trotting on the horses back to the lake. I was the last one there and noticed there was some confusion with the negotiated price. Apparently they didn’t make it clear that it was 120 rupees per horse! It was still worth it!

We then headed back to our hotel for dinner and rest.

Another great day!


Tejas Dictated:

The day started with us seeing a flock of wild parrots (“Tota “in Hindi). They were flying all around us at the hotel grounds. Pretty neat.

We visited my dad’s school and his boarding house. Dad said the school was much different than it is now. I don’t think I would like to go to this school. I love Meadowridge. Also, I don’t think I could stay at the boarding house.

After that we went to visit the Jain Temple. It was amazing. All the different carvings on marble were neat.

After we went to the Ganesh temple. It was very small so it only took a few minutes. We went down all the steps. Then these men came to us and asked if we would like to ride a horse. I got all excited, so my Dad said yes. We got on the horses and went off. The man that was helping me asked if I wanted to trot the horse. I looked but at my Dad to make sure I was allowed and he said yes. So my sister and Dad did too. My Mom’s horse seemed a little slow. My horse was really fast and I thought I lost my parents. When I got to the lake, I waited for the rest of them. It took my Mom a really long time!



Shivani Wrote:

Today was our first day really exploring Mount Abu. It was very exciting! We got to visit Daddy’s old school, and visited a Jain Temple. Our guide Dalpat Singh Rathore explained everything very well, and had great English.
Dad’s old school was nice. But I do not want to go there. Except I want to have their holiday breaks. (December13- March14) The back of the school has a very nice view of the lake.

The Jain Temple was beautiful. The architecture was amazing. And the combination of the Hindu religion and the Jain religion was just fascinating.

After we went to a store where Mr. Rathore sold his Cd’s. The Cd’s were awesome. They had great religious music of all the gods.

Over all today was a great day! ☺

After we finished our tour with Mr. Rathore, we walked to Nakki Lake. When we were walking around Nakki Lake a dog kept following us. He would stop every time we did! Anyways, when we were walking people on horse’s came trotting down, asking us if we wanted to take a horse ride around Nakki Lake. We said maybe later. When we happened to pass by their “station” they coincidentally had 4 horses ready. My Dad finally said Yes, and we took a wonderful horse ride around Nakki Lake!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb