The princely state of Karauli


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Karauli
February 22nd 2016
Published: February 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Karauli, the capital of the princely state of the same name, was founded in 1348. The old city is protected by a red sandstone wall that though depleted in places is still intact. The ruling family is considered to be descended from Lord Krishna. The old city is impossibly cramped and we wend our way through the streets (alleys?) to the Old City Palace. The Maharajah has kindly lent us one of his staff to guide us to the Palace and to show us around. The old city palace was built in the 14thcentury and the existing palace was built in 1635. It remained the official residence of the royal family till 1938. The city palace is a treasure trove of architecture, stone carvings, jhali work, glass inlay work, classic paintings with elaborated ornamented stuccowork and frescoes. The beautifully carved and painted plaster is fading in places but the overall effect is mesmerising. When we were there the only other visitors were two Canadians who were also staying at the Bhanwar Vilas. This place is not on the tourist circuit but deserves to be. We also visit the Madan Mohanji temple within the fort (this seems to be a deity related to Krishna but we are not sure). Anyway the devotees worshipping in the temple seem very devoted to her.

The Bhanwar Vilas palace where we are staying was built by the Maharaja between 1933 and 1938. It is an extensive red sandstone building painted in yellow and white. The Maharajah and the Maharani and his son all live here and staying here feels similar to being house guests at a country house.





Mid afternoon we set off to visit the Mahavir Jain temple some miles out of town. Unfortunately the driver gets lost and we return some hours later ill tempered and tired having searched fruitlessly for the temple. Oh dear not a good afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb