Nursing Tals back to health... and escaping the vom to do some more sightseeing!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
April 21st 2013
Published: April 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!

As you will know from the previous post Tals has unfortunately been very ill. I woke up our first night here to find her violently shivering despite the fact she was burning up. Then the vom started... Poor old Tals was then being violently sick for the next 24 hours as well as having a high fever and couldn't even keep water down! Luckily I have experience of looking after Plops in a similar condition(!) so I was on hand to be nursemaid! After many cool soothing flannels on her forehead and then some dyorolite she was starting to improve by the evening and is much better today and well on the road to recovery! Luckily the people at the Homestay have been very kind and thoughtful and have helped us re-schedule our activities to Monday so she can have another day of rest.

I left Tals sleeping to go out and further explore the sights of Jaipur. Went through the Pink City once again on the way to the Amber Palace. Although a tourist hotspot you can enter the lower level courtyard and walk round the outer walls without having to pay and also they were just finishing a festival there. As a result there were lots of locals and also got to see a small group singing and playing the drums to mark the end of the festival. From there drove to the Jantar Mantar which is an ancient observatory with many old sun dials and other constructions used to tell time, measure the seasons etc Incredible to think we now have tiny watches for this! This sight was almost next door to the City Palace and as a result when you are outside in the car park you get many people trying to sell to you or begging. Was striking to see the difference between the rich Indians (tourists themselves) inside the sights contrasted to the poor homeless outside begging- they are completely destitute and most have disabilities or amputations. A shocking sight and felt incredibly guilty then hopping into my air conditioned car to be driven back to the Homestay where I can eat, shower etc. The common theme that keeps recurring for me and Nat in our short time in India is how incredibly fortunate and privelged we are and the lifestyle we have in the UK and how guilty we feel just to have the amazing opportunity to come here...

The most surprising difference between Jaipur and the capital Delhi is that Jaipur is far more touristy- we've seen far more Indian and western tourists and get stared at a lot less. Also we get far more people approaching us to ask questions and to shake our hand but not to take photos so much. While I was out I had a couple of school children stop me to ask a few questions for a school project on tourism. Their final question was 'What is the main similarity between Indian and UK culture?' I thought for a few moments but all I could say is 'Nothing... there is nothing similar.' And it is true- India is a different world x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



21st April 2013

Ola
Hello Ladie, wow sounds like a tough 24 hours , well done Jen, you look so happy and peaceful in your pictures. Cant wait for next blog
22nd April 2013

Feeling better?
Hey darlins, hope your both good today? Aww Nat hope your feeling better today, and get to enjoy the elephants etc? Glad lil jen was there to look after you, well done jen jen sounds like you did an amazing job!! Really enjoying your blogs very much, loving the photos too :) .... I guess a trip to India wouldn't be complete without a least one of you getting Delhi belly! Look after yourselves, love Bear xxx
22nd April 2013

Hope your feeling better xx
Hey darlins, hope your both well - and hope you've recovered a bit more Nat? Aww you poor thing, Delhi Belly sounds awful! Well done Jen jen, sounds like you did an amazing job of being nurse maid! Hope you've both been able to go to see the elephants today? Loving the blogs & photos, all sounds so amazing :)!! Look forward to reading the next...... Look after yourselves, love Bear xxx p.s. I guess it wouldn't have been a complete Indian experience if one of you hadn't got the dreaded DB!!

Tot: 0.41s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb