Jerry: Monday 17th December


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
December 18th 2012
Published: December 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We landed at 0730. There was not the ‘wall’ of heat that has accompanied previous visits as you exit the aircraft. The airport was not as busy as we had expected and a smooth passage through immigration, baggage collection and customs ensured. There was a slight ‘moment’ where we tried to find our driver and another when he presented us with a four seater car to get us and our luggage the 45 minute drive to the hotel. Claire’s insistence brought forth another vehicle (and a second requirement to pay the car-park fees!). We set off, with Alice and Hanna in with me, and Joe accompanying Claire and the baggage.Any thoughts of a convoy journey were lost in a heartbeat as both drivers launched themselves into the maelstrom that is Delhi traffic. Claire and I had two confirmatory phone calls to ensure we were still both alive. Alice, Hanna and I drive past a couple of elephants on the highway, and apparently Joe was fascinated by the monkeys, squirrels and stray dogs living together on a roundabout.



We arrived within 10 minutes at the hotel in a downtown back-packers area. Looking a bit like the street scenes in Bladerunner, the area was characterised by the excessive car-horn use. After checking in (boys in one room, girls in the other) we snoozed until early afternoon. We then decided to do a bit of exploring. After taking wandering with little panning into another hotel for a late lunch, we took two ‘tuk-tuks’ to Connaught Square (which is round), the centre of old colonial Delhi with mock Georgian buildings (think Bath / ‘who will buy?’ dancing scene in Oliver Twist).



A tour of the area resulted in a pause in Costa Coffee and the indulgence of exotic fruit / chocolate based drinks for the price of an average India’s daily wage. In the gathering dusk we walked back to the hotel, past one of the train stations with the collection of itinerates gathering for the evening activities. The smells of cooking, urine and rotting food was interesting to say the least.



On arrival back at the hotel, and with body clocks awry, we settled to bed. The adults in their respective rooms fell asleep first.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



20th December 2012

Pleased to hear
You certainly don't have it easy do you! Oh well it all adds to the excitement and adventure. Lovely to hear your first 2 messages, look forward to more soon. Loads of love

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb