Jolly Boating Weather


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a pleasant afternoon on our balcony we set off for a walk. As is inevitable met the "I am learning English, Italian German" who escorted us through his village. Fascinating to see how backward everything is but how they all seem to support themselves. This village is being tarted up for tourists and the main road to the hotel is being cobbled but off that and it is the usual filth and sqallour that one expects.

Back to the Hotel to shower and change into Black Tie. As always spent hours trying to tie the bloody thing, and was very proud of my efforts!

So we proceded downstairs, Solly looking lovely and started the evenings enjoyment.

We started talking to The Honourable Robert who after a few minutes decided my bow tie was not good enough for the photos and then tried to tidy me up telling me that was how his Father did it for him when he was younger!! Oh well at least he didn't have to spring any elastic!!

After a while during which a nice G+T was drunk we were summoned downstairs out of the front door. There are over 70 here of all ages and Etonians are not known for being obedient so it took a while!

There then proceded a welcome ceremony of a few rather pathetic fireworks that at least made a good bang.

We then went and stood on the steps for the school photo. Most upset when Lord P told me I was so old I was in the front row!! Solly even less flattered. Anyhow once the camels joined in and hundreds of photos later we moved on back in. There was one classic in that another guest not of our group got so excited taking photos of us he fell head over heals into a flower bed. No harm done he was back taking more photos in seconds!

Back up the steps and we were garlanded and then had Bhindi put on our foreheads.

Cocktails were served in the Royal Rooms in the Durbar Hall. Two different Vodka efforts, I drank both to help the evening on!!

Out to the pool terrace for Dinner. We were seated with place names and everything. I had a top Interior Designer, three attractive blondes incl Jessica who might have something for Sally and of the eight on my table three were young Uni grads looking for jobs in Mumbai or Dubai.

Excellent evening, wine flowed food much better than before and India's answer to Elvis Presley and about the same age as he would be now rocked the night away.

Then a speech and proper Fireworks which were lovely and ended with Clover whose birthday it was having her name lit up as a firework.

Then singing time Jolly Boating Weather and Camen Etonenses! Pretty Pathetic effort by all of us!

A lot of heavy heads, ours not included, this morning signify it was an excellent evening that ended around 3 in the morning.

Went to Breakfast this morning and for a while we were on our own save for a Mother Monkey with her one month old Baby. Then an elderly Swiss couple entered grumbling about ze party ze night before and how zey had not zlept! She then proceded to shout at her husband in German. By the time we left one of our party had also appeared.

Off to the spa were we had a very relaxing Ayurvedic massage each and a cession in the steam room.

Read our books until it was time to leave for lunch. Decided a Camel cart would be the best way so we climbed onto the wagon and off we set With a driver and guide who walked behind I think to catch me if I fell out.

Down through the village and out onto the main road then it got interesting with lorries squeezing past us one felt a little exposed.

Eventually arrived at a farm where lunch was being held. There was a fascinating talk by someone who has been working to save the Tiger with some success. And then lunch. Sat next to Lucie Wilan who is now living in Mumbai and who was very pleased to see Solly.

Now lying by the pool with just a dinner to go before we fly to Kathmandu.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb