All Forted Out


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
January 22nd 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving Pushkar we had a camel ride through the Desert. There was plenty of girly screams and giggles as the camel sat up and down and ran through the sand and we were all a bit soar after an hour but it was a great way to enjoy the scenery in Pushkar.

We had another long car journey ahead of us but I even find driving through the countryside ion India fascinating. It is incredible how many people they will squeeze into a rickshaw or motorbike and the amount of stuff they transport by carts. The funniest thing I have seen so far is 2 men and a cow on a motorbike!! No really!

We arrived in Jaipur last night and once again we are back in the hustle and bustle of an Indian City but we are slightly more prepared for it than we were when we arrived in Delhi. We went for some early drinks and a slap up meal to treat Dee on her birthday after failing to get her a proper birthday card, candle or cake...trying to organise anything in India is not easy! The restaurant promised us a cake and even brought plates and spoons, then the waiter came and admitted he actually didn't have one. It just seems that if Indians don't know or understand something they just nod and smile anyway. After dinner we bought a bottle of local rum and vodka and had a gossip over some drinks in the room. We stole a dinner table candle from the hotel restaurant and all sang Dee Happy Birthday round that...sadly it was the best we could do!

Today we had yet another early morning and went for a days sight seeing around Jaipur. I'll let the photos speak for themselves but basically we went to many many forts doted around the city, all of which were beautiful but i am knackered!

I am starting to get really bunged up from all the pollution and dust in India. I can't stop sneezing and my nose is really running. This might be too much information but...I blew my nose today and the tissue was black! Its really disgusting but not surprising when you look at the constant cloud of smog on the horizon and the lack of hygiene. There are huge piles of rubbish everywhere and Indian men are constantly spitting on the streets. It is not unusual for people to hang out of bus windows or emerge from a doorway to spit. One of these days I'm going to be ignorantly walking down th street at the wrong time and be hit by the contents of someones lungs I know it!

The amount of child beggars is also much higher in these areas than in Delhi. The poverty really can be quite hard to deal with and it does make you uneasy because we are so much more privileged than them. They tap on the car windows and pull at your clothes begging for money and food on the streets. Unfortunately they have no doubt been encouraged by their parents to go out alone and get money from tourists.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb