The Pink City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
October 14th 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

JaipurJaipurJaipur

Royal cenotaphs.
We left Ranthambore and the Tiger Reserve early and took a train to the Pink City (and capital) of Rajasthan- Jaipur. We had heard mixed reports on the city and were surprised to find it's quite cosmopolitan (as Indian cities come). We eventually found our hotel (much to the digust of our rickshaw driver, who had hoped to take us to his friend's place and rip us off in the process) and settled down to a day of relaxation and eating delicious samosas.

On day #2 we hired a rickshaw for the entire day and were driven around all the sights of the Old City (the part that's pink) and had a really amazing time. It's very hot, hectic and dirty but behind all that ( and the usual assortment of farm animals) are some impressive tombs and palaces and an amazing observatory. The best sight of the day was the burial place of the maharajas and their cenotaphs- incredible marble carved tombs with ridiculously intricate designs. Our driver was the nicest man ever and brought us shopping that evening where, for the first time ever, we didnt get robbed blind. Dec got a suit tailor made and delivered to the hotel and Sarah got a diamond and emerald ring!! We also went out to the Amber Fort, which is a massive fort just outside of and overlooking the city but it was absolutely packed and had a lot of beggars and lepers lining the entrance path, so it was kind of difficult to enjoy the scenery.

The following day, we went out to the rickshaw driver's home and had tea with his family. It was great because his daughters dressed us up in the traditional Rajasthani clothes, with bindhis and henna on our hands and they showed us all their family photos and we met their neighbours. It was really nice and they were so hospitable, you would rarely see that kind of thing happen at home. That night we went out to "Chowki Dani", a mock Rajasthani village that is kind of like an Indian theme park. It was a gorgeous village all lit with lanterns where we had amazing food and got to ride elephants and see (and take part in!) traditional dancing and acrobatic shows. It was all a bit kitsch and very middle class family orientated but we had a brilliant time.

We left Jaipur the next afternoon, bound for Jodhpur, and thankfully we can say that we didnt experience the hassles and inconveniences other people along the way had reported to us. The Old City is very beautiful in it's own way and the people we encountered were really lovely to us. We've exchanged e-amil addresses with the driver (Raju) and his family and we're going to keep in touch and send him photos from our trip.

Next stop: The Blue City... 6hr bus journey here we go...

Advertisement



24th October 2007

you are amazing!!!! I am so glad you are having a great time, i am so jealous!!! Keep up with the updates!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb