Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
September 10th 2005
Published: September 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Motorcycle gang at bus stopMotorcycle gang at bus stopMotorcycle gang at bus stop

After boarding the bus to Jaipur, we stopped 10 minutes into the trip at another bus station. I proceeded to befriend a guy with a motorcycle and he let me ride it for a moment. Then I snapped this photo of him and his friends.
The 7 hour bus ride from Agra (although we were told it was only 5 hours) was fantastic as I spent most of the time on the roof enjoying a wonderful breeze and fantastic views. The scenery changes dramatically as you leave Uttar Pradesh region and enter Rajasthan where the landscape becomes greener and peppered with small mountains.

Rajasthan is the "Land of Kings" and Jaipur is its capital. Here I met up with many other travelers and took in information for many of my upcoming travels (SE Asia, Africa, etc.).

The intense heat during the day made for some uncomfortable sightseeing, but I ventured out into the busy streets to take in the feel of the city. Late in the day we hired an autorickshaw for the 10km ride to Nahargarh, the "tiger" fort which overlooks the city. The views were outstanding including that of the "pink city" of Jaipur.

A group of travelers was formed at the hotel and the eight of us took in a night of traditional Indian dance and food at the Indiana restaurant.

Ollie and I even spent one morning playing golf at the local course.

Off to Pushkar tomorrow.
Top of bus with IndiansTop of bus with IndiansTop of bus with Indians

Just 15 minutes into the 7 hour bus trip, I climbed out the window of the moving bus and up onto the roof. Soon I was joined by these two guys. I spent 6.5 of the 7 hours of the ride on the roof. Better views, better breeze than inside the bus.





Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Sand workersSand workers
Sand workers

From the top of the bus, I snapped this photo of workers outside of Jaipur.
Fatehpur SikritFatehpur Sikrit
Fatehpur Sikrit

This fortified ghost city was the capital of the Mughal empire between 1571 and 1585.
Women on paradeWomen on parade
Women on parade

Not sure what the parade was for. When they saw me onto of the bus, the crowd began waving frantically.
Lunch breakLunch break
Lunch break

Ollie and I pose in front of our bus after 4 hours on the road. Another 3 hours ahead of us, we wonder how we could have misunderstood the ticket salesman when he promised a quick 5 hour ride.
Rajasthan sceneryRajasthan scenery
Rajasthan scenery

The beautiful landscape of Rajasthan from the top of the speeding bus.
Approaching JaipurApproaching Jaipur
Approaching Jaipur

the sun shines through the dark clouds as we close in on Jaipur
Rainbow from the RoofRainbow from the Roof
Rainbow from the Roof

From the roof of the Pearl Palace hotel, the cool weather and humid conditions provided a spectacular effect.
Dinner gang at IndianaDinner gang at Indiana
Dinner gang at Indiana

Our truly international group consisted of Patricia (Spanish in blue top), myself, Daniella (Brazilian), David (England), Ollie (Jersey Island of UK) and Julio & Kim (Spain).
Dance performanceDance performance
Dance performance

Our group took in a traditional Indian dance performance at the Indiana restaurant.
Indian dance continuesIndian dance continues
Indian dance continues

Dance showcases her agility and flexibility.
Water PalaceWater Palace
Water Palace

On our way to the Nahargarh "tiger" Fort, we past the Water Palace. The bottom three floors are flooded.
Hear, See, Speak no evilHear, See, Speak no evil
Hear, See, Speak no evil

On the hill climb road up to the fort, these three monkeys sat and took in the view.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb