Forts, Forts and more Forts!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Bundi
December 1st 2008
Published: February 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ChittorgarghChittorgarghChittorgargh

swimming hole
Finally leaving Udaipur, we caught a morning train to Chittorgargh. Cool fort with strange history. 3 times this fort had been under siege and its people chose death over defeat. Meaning, the men marched out of their still intact fort to charge to army against them and ride to their death. The women died by Jauhar (self imolation), which is basically they lit themselves on fire to commit suicide rather than be taken as slaves. Just 1 of these 3 battles saw 32,000 men ride to their deaths and 13,000 women die by imolation!!!! Still questioned by historians today is, would they actually have been taken if they remained inside their walls?? The fort dates to 8th Century and was even equipped with water tank which is now a big swimming hole for locals. Did not stay here though, just had jumped a rickshaw with our bags to see the place then grabbed another train out.

Our next destination was Bundi. The Palace and Fort were built right into the hillside and were quite huge. Palace was in restoration in places and destruction by monkeys in others. Some amazing murals. We attempted to continue to climb up the hill to
ChittorgarghChittorgarghChittorgargh

Jain Temple
the Fort, but was attacked by monkeys as soon as we stepped out of the Palace. I hate monkeys! They are rabie carriers and can be very aggressive. In China, they give you a stick to trek with when there are monkeys around. Here we had nothing but our bags and we back up right into the door behind us watching this little bastard taking swipes at us, teeth glaring!! So no Fort! Screw that, not worth the rabies!

Went on next day to Kota. Got a bad vibe off this place as soon as we got here. Needed to be here for night as had early train next morning. Just all in all bed experience here. This is off the beaten tourist track, so beggers were extra pushy. Had to get on city bus that went by, not sure where it was going, to get away from a group of at least 10-15 beggers who came flying across the street at us!! Then some kid, aged 5-9, smoking, started asking us for money. When I would not give them any, they started throwing rocks at us. Excellent! What the hell do you do?? Anyways spent night in our room as had had enough!
It happens!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ChittorgarghChittorgargh
Chittorgargh

Check out Ganesh's left hand. Totally copping a feel.
ChittorgarghChittorgargh
Chittorgargh

This was dog vs. monkey vs. pig fight!
ChittorgarghChittorgargh
Chittorgargh

Langur Monkey eating offerings
ChittorgarghChittorgargh
Chittorgargh

Wall stairs
LoudLoud
Loud

always to the max volume in Inida


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb