Today we arrived in Bikaner


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Bikaner
August 17th 2014
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 28.0199, 73.3176

After leaving Mandawa in the early morning we headed farther out into the Thar Desert. After much driving our first stop of the day was at the 600 year old Kami Mata Temple. The temple is notable for the RATS that live there. Yes, we said rats. There is a Hindu rat god and locals consider a holy rat running over your bare feet to be particularly auspicious. The building was quite ornate on the outside and then when you went inside there were rats running freely everywhere. Because it was a temple you were not allowed to wear shoes inside but socks were allowed. The rats looked very diseased and unhealthy. The whole place was disgusting!
After scrubbing our feet with disinfectant we then headed off to Bikaner, an old walled city. There we had lunch and then entered Junagarh Fort. It was a very interesting and well preserved site.
Later we arrived at our hotel which had huge guest rooms in an Art Deco style, and very pleasant staff. After a few hours to relax we were off to dinner at a local restaurant where we enjoyed local music and food. The women in the group were invited to dance with one of the entertainers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



20th August 2014

Not sure I could have stayed there long!
31st August 2014

Really rats in a temple...crazy.

Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb