orthopaedics


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab
April 24th 2006
Published: April 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

24 april

took a while to find the department this morning.
the team head...dr. bobby john was very nice. joined their monday morning conference for a while. mostly cases with RTA and fracture.
only one female in the room....

learnt that fracture femur shaft can hide a fracture NOF...so after ORIF in OT...need to take good postop xray to check before take the patient out of OT

then went to the OT...saw 2 cases....

young male with achilles tendonitis due to overuse...had injection steroid into tendon once....one day...tendon snapped....so had to OT to repair...
didn't know that just one injection could lead to rupture....

the plan was to take the tendon of flexor hallucis longus to repair...but halfway through the OT....i had vasovagal. was dizzy and cold sweats. also some tummy ache. so left...and sat down...was better after taking a drink and going bathroom.....maybe it was a bit of dehydration and a bit of not used to standing for so long....or the GI upset somehow was affecting me.

2nd case was child with cerebral palsy and scissoring...needed release of adductor tendons....
but it was more like cutting of the muscles.


afterwards needed to put on POP and keep legs in abductor position...so in case the tendons grow back...will be longer and enough for good movement.


found out that surgeons the world over are similar....impatient.....
and interns are the same too...walking around with a piece of paper with their homework to do

the facilites here are more basic....you can say they're trying to be more cost effective.....without the fancy stuff...reuse the things if possible....gloves are washed and reused...but not in those in the OT.....still get the job done.....and save money by not wasting stuff...like pouring only the necessary amount of povodone instead of a big bowl....

but some of their infection control standards are quite different from ours....saw the POP tapes being rolled out on the OT floor....

and there was another power cut during the OT....only the celing lights went off....the OT lights were still on...but somehow the anaesthetic machine seemed to have lost power.....the monitors switched off....

a mosquito flew into the OT midway! and the consultant swatted it with one swipe...had to throw away the glove afterwards and change.....
for the next OT...the resident was holding a fly swat....

still haven't seen any students....just interns and residents.....

ortho people really like their anatomy...better brush up on that...

Advertisement



25th April 2006

hey again ~
i laughed and laughed when u said surgeons were swatting flies while doing operations... do their patients' wounds get infected ??? i had a caesarean wound infected quite badly the other day, had to open up the whole wound to drain the pus out, but i couldn't figure out why it went so badly... interesting indeed ~~ ppl u were meeting all seem very friendly, and 3 english girls !?!? haha, good for u man ~~ i want levi's too, but it's difficult to describe what i want... i'll check the ones i have and get the measurements to u later la ~ i can't believe ur getting cheap levi's in india........... sounds like i need to go there for shopping someday too ~~

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb