Punjab: 4 Cities, 2 Weddings and 1 Big Surprise


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab
November 21st 2008
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Itay and the BoysItay and the BoysItay and the Boys

Masserji, Mr. Chawla and Tony Mama arrive back safely at the wedding.
Back into civilization, and apparently just in time for wedding season in India. We felt presentable after a few more showers and finally washing our clothes, which took more than 10 buckets of clean water. Ewww.

First stop was Dehra Dun and a family friend's wedding.

The wedding reception featured all vegetarian cuisine, and unfortunately no alcohol. No problem. Itay was ushered into a getaway car by Tony Mama. 20 minutes later, he sipped scotch and soda while munching on fried chicken in a parking lot with other like-minded Punjabi men. Jaspreet was relieved to see Itay and his new friends return an hour later.

On our last night in Dehra Dun, we celebrated Guru Nanak's birthday. The founder of Sikhism and first of ten Gurus, his birthday was marked by a parade with singing, camels, fire crackers and more fire crackers.

-----

After an emotional morning goodbye with Beeji, it was off to the real Punjab: the homeland of Sikhs,
Family portraitFamily portraitFamily portrait

With the Bride and groom (Harman), night #5
delicious food, and unmatched hospitality. Jaspreet's mom joined us two at Rani Massi's house in Ludhiana. Their daughter-in-law Polica and 2 two grandkids, Reet and Sanjj, were also visiting.

Time for Wedding #2, which consisted of 5 days of non-stop feasting, drinking, dancing. Harman, a childhood friend of Jaspreet's brother Gagan, and his family hosted us in true Punjabi fashion.

Jaspreet got to show off all those Indian outfits she has stockpiled. Meanwhile, Itay donned a suit newly stitched by the family tailor in Dehra Dun.

-----

In between the wedding parties, we made the 3-hour ride to Amritsar to visit the Golden Temple, the holiest sight in Sikhism. A must see attraction, just try not to go on a Sunday. A 2-hour plus line awaited anyone who wanted to view the Holy Book, tucked inside the golden dome. We gave up 15 minutes into it.

Re-energized after lunch at a historic Dhaba nearby, we drove 30 km towards the border with Pakistan. Every day, crowds gather on both sides to witness the ceremonial closing of the border. Chants filled the air. We left with relief after hearing one too many "Allah U-akhbar" from the other side of the fence.

-----

Patiala was the next stop on the Punjab express. Beeji (Jaspreet's dad's mom) hosted us so well. She even joined us in our tour of Patiala's golden age as a princely city-state.

In between, we shopped for more clothes and jewellery. Itay even found time to buy Jaspreet a fitting present for her 30th birthday. Happy birthday hun!

Beeji's neighbors, the Colonel and his wife, joined us for drinks and dinner one night. Itay had such a good time in their company that he crashed their prep school for toddlers the following morning. What a warm and caring and funny couple.

-----

From Patiala, Beeji's fearless driver Taran drove us to Chandigarh. The city was built entirely after WW2 and designed by the French architect Le Curbousier. It shows: wide avenues, functioning stop lights, and street signs that make sense. We hung out by the lake, struggled through the rock garden, and ended up at Sector 17 for shopping and a rendezvous with Pooja and her husband, Ashish.

They treated us to the best coffee we've tasted in India. We said our goodbyes to the couple till next week, when the 4 of us head back to the mountains together. One final dinner with Beeji at Barbeque Nation. It's an Indian chain where they serve endless kebabs. Itay went crazy for the chinese crab.

-----

We returned to Ludhiana yesterday (Nov. 21) with one big surprise up our sleeves. In honor of Rani Massi's and Masserji's 40th wedding anniversary, we brought them a present all the way from London: their son Jaspreet, aka Babloo! . The shock of it all set in, and Masserji resumed his afternoon snooze.

Jaspreet's mom treated everyone to dinner last night for the occasion. What a happy couple.

-----

The Taj Mahal awaits next week, plus a final foray into the mountains. Stay tuned....




Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

All Veg WeddingAll Veg Wedding
All Veg Wedding

Yummy all the same
Guru Nanak FestGuru Nanak Fest
Guru Nanak Fest

Jaspreet and Mom look on at camel parade. Across street is Itay's tailor shop.
AwwwwAwwww
Awwww

Rani Massi and Masserji with their grandkids, Reet and Sanj
Shake it up MamaShake it up Mama
Shake it up Mama

Ludhiana wedding, night #1
Dance floor loveDance floor love
Dance floor love

Jaspreet and Ranni Massi
Happy CoupleHappy Couple
Happy Couple

Because we get to attend someone else's wedding for a change
Buffet timeBuffet time
Buffet time

Ludhiana wedding, night #5
Spiritual BathSpiritual Bath
Spiritual Bath

Amritsar, Golden Temple
Good Times...Good Times...
Good Times...

...at the Golden Temple
Armritsar DhabaArmritsar Dhaba
Armritsar Dhaba

South Indian Thali for 75 rupees ($1.50)
Go IndiaGo India
Go India

Indian crowd at the Waga border


22nd November 2008

1 city, 0 weddings and no surprises
What an adventure! The Himalayas, mountain passes, the Ganges, the ganja, donkeys, weddings, bridges, borders, buckets and Babloo. This trip seems to be beyond your and our wildest expectations. Big ups the Jaspreet planning and hospitality master. Itay you seem to be settling in to your new life quite well and embracing what to me was a warm, complex and beautiful country and culture. It makes me very happy to read your posts and as I told J on email, you are fantastic storytellers. Much love. Jacob
26th November 2008

Gosh!
C'mon Itay, everyone knows that Dehra Dun is in Uttarakhand! Not Punjab! Sheesh! Nonetheless, your travels look astounding. Keep having a blast, and I hope to see you soon!
5th December 2008

Guys, I'm mad jealous - all looks so amazing. That's why you created the travelblog, right? To make us all jealous? ;) Hope the rest of your trip is just as wonderful. xoxo Rob

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb