A tourist’s day in Chandigarh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Chandigarh
September 27th 2017
Published: September 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

A planned modern city, Chandigarh is on the crossroads of the Northern Plains and the Himalayan foothills, a city with a neat grid layout and some of the most eclectic attractions in the country.

A day in Chandigarh is not enough to soak it all in, but, there are enough activities and places to visit that will help you experience a slice of life in the city. Find a taxi service in Chandigarh that will allow you to soak in the sights and sounds of the different ‘Sectors’.



City of Monuments

The artiste behind Chandigarh's development, Le Corbusier envisioned a planned city that has art and culture firmly integrated into the landscape, in distinctive styles. The Rock Garden is Nek Chand’s brainchild and the unique sculptures and installations here have been made out of junkyard waste and scrap products. Make sure you have this on your Chandigarh day-trip list.

The Open Hand monument is a defining emblem of Chandigarh and makes for a great spot for some quiet reflecting. Visit the War Memorial, a tribute to those who lost their lives in more sombre chapters of the region’s history. The surrounding Capitol Complex is a grand stage for design and scale, with the hills in the background providing a setting portrait of Chandigarh’s heart. Walk around and notice the details of the Tower of Shadows and the Geometric Hill, examples of the eccentric modern design that Le Corbusier gifted the world.

Step into the Rose Garden for some serene moments. The calm waters of the Sukhna Lake provide peace and plenty of photo ops. The Leisure Valley is a series of parks and recreational open spaces that stretch across the city. Make sure you spend some time here and admire the greenery.

The ISKCON temple in Chandigarh is a popular attraction, along with the SanatanDharamMandir. You can also visit the TegBahadur Sahib Gurudwara, one of the most prominent places of worship for the Sikhs in Chandigarh.




Savaari Car Rentals for a hassle-free experience of exploring the city’s food joints while also discovering its other landmarks. Popular market-places include the Rehri markets at the Sectors 22 and 19.

Chandigarh is a designer’s paradise, radical in many ways, a lesson for planners and administrators alike. A visit here will leave you spellbound; a city that combines the vibrant Indian setting with a sharp and organized landscape – truly unique in the entire country. Find reliable cabs in Chandigarh so you can have a memorable day, spending each moment discovering an essence of the city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.443s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb