Mammalapuram


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Pondicherry
February 13th 2010
Published: February 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday, our 2nd day in Mamma, we were taken to a local restaurant in the Indian quarter, far from the tourist area (in essence if not geography!), and had a real Indian food experience. Masala Dosa cooked on a hot stone, egg poori, which was a mix of egg, tomato, onion and garlic all cooked together on the stone and chopped up. It was all sublime! We were the only Westerners there. We drank mineral water (to be on the safe side!), and with extra dosas and sambar, the bill was just over 1 pound! Why go down the tourist strip? (When we went for breakfast that morning and I asked for something of the 'Indian Breakfast' section of the menu, the waiter told me there was nothing Indian available!)

That evening, we bought a few beers, and invited Sara and Tomaz (the Slovenians) to join us on our little private patio! We spent an enjoyable evening drinking the beer and chatting.

Thursday, we set off early in the morning to visit 'the rocks', which is a series of 1400 year old rock carvings, forming temples, very close to where we were staying. We had a local guide, Mr Bavan, who was extremely knowledgeable. He also took us to a big Hindu temple, and showed us all the different shrines in there, and explained their meaning. He showed us how to pray Hindu style, and we were blessed by the priests in the different shrines, as well as given the red spot on our foreheads! There is a photo of Baska which I will put up sometime - she looks like a homicide victim!! Baska was also worried about drinking the holy water that was dispensed into our cupped hands. I drank it with gusto, which made Baska giggle fairly uncontrollably.

That afternoon, we went to an Internet cafe to look for places to stay in Pondicherry, as all the places in the guidebooks we had rung were full. We eventually found a website for an Indian artist, Manoj, who has 2 apartments in Pondi, and lets out rooms. They looked good, so we called him. He explained he was away on business, but his father, Ravi, was looking after things for him. He gave us Ravi's number, and said he would call Ravi and tell him we would like to stay. Later in the evening, my mobile rang, and it was Ravi to tell me that he had reserved a room for us for the 3 nights we had requested, and it would be 1500 rupees a night. I told him this was outside our budget, and he apologized and that was the end of the conversation. However a few minutes later he called back and said he had spoken to Manoj, and they would like to have us anyway, so would 800 be OK!! We jumped at the chance. Next morning, off we went on the bus - 2 hours later we were in Pondicherry; I rang him from the bus stand, as arranged, and he gave me instructions for the tuktuk driver. Ravi met us, a charming doctor, and took us to his house, where we met his wife, also charming. Our room is fine, and Manoj's art is hanging everywhere. On the roof is a terrace, with a nice breeze off the Bay of Bengal.

Pondicherry is a lovely town - a promenade on the Bay of Bengal with families promenading in their beautiful saris, the girls with flowers in their hair. A fabulous market, where they sell fish, fruit, veg, flowers, spices and textiles and clothes. The smells assault the senses - rancid fish overlaid with spices and jasmine - your head is in a sensory whirl. We buy fruit and clothes - our packs are getting heavier! We found a great veggie restaurant, right opposite the bay, where we sit in a lovely garden and are served food to die for, and then pay the bill of just pennies. And Manisha, Ravi's daughter, has also been cooking lovely veggie food for us. We really fell on our feet!

Tonight we are catching the night bus to Madurai. We have a double berth - weird or what! London buses don't seem to offer this! And certainly not for 6 pounds for an 8 hour journey! We will arrive in Mondurai at 5.30 tomorrow morning, then find somewhere to stay. We are real travellers!

Advertisement



14th February 2010

thanks for the updates
Hi Mick, I hope I'm not the only one reading these - I seem to be the only one replying. I love reading about your travels and also to know you're both well and safe. Not much going on here - still too damned cold. xx Laura
15th February 2010

Comments
Hi HB. Lovely to see all your comments. We aree getting some others, but you are the tops! We have been talking about you two today - your ears should have been burning with all the nice things we said about you! Love Mick
15th February 2010

Blog
Hi Franko Glad you are enjoying it. Can't really describe the experience we are going through - it has to be lived! Mike
15th February 2010

Romantic
I think you are a romantic Mick. You certainly make it sound like an adventure. Laura is filled with horror at the thought of backpacking round India, as you know, and only thinks of the beggars and poverty and smell! She thought your adventure in Chennai something she wanted to avoid. However I am jealous. One day maybe she will change her mind .. I have discovered I can become a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) and have most of the rights of an Indian as my father and Grandfather were born in India but the paperwork is arduous. Laura is not impressed, however I think it may be worth having as I could then own a piece of land in Goa or somewhere nicer! If everything is as cheap as you say perhaps we could spend 6 months of the year there. Is Basha enjoying it? All the best Philip TD
16th February 2010

India
We need to work on Laurs, but sadly I'm not sure she could ever take to it. Maybe in a nice place like Kerela or Goa, but not the 'real' India. Anyway, glad you're jealous!
16th February 2010

Baska
And yes, Baska is loving it (mostly). Maybe not the rat or the roaches so much...

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb