Adventures in Auroville


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Pondicherry
January 17th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lovely ladiesLovely ladiesLovely ladies

No, not MJ wannabes! Just battling the pollution in style!
We left Chennai for Pondicherry, for our visit to Auroville, an experimental sustainable living community. Before we left we spent the morning with an consumer action group called ToxicsLink. Incredibly bright and empassoned staff, learned a great deal about "how it works" in the Indian energy system and government action (or inaction).

On our drive to Pondicherry we briefly stopped at Dakshina Chitra for a little cultural activity, but the hot and smoggy drive was calling our names so we got back in the van (a monstrous thing with a 10ft high ceiling but a very nice and brave driver) and continued on our treacherous journey of unmarked roadblocks, darting cars, motorcycles, bicycles, handcarts, people and, of course, the slow moving and holy, cow. There were definitely a few miraculous 'close ones'. And then it grew dark. Everything was a close one. "Please use dipper at night"!!!!

We stayed in a fancy hotel in Pondicherry. A French tourist hot spot. Very pretty decor minus a bizarre balcony with anglo-looking mannequins that appeared to be in prayer??

The next day we visited Auroville, the international community founded on the mission is to live in harmony with human beings. Both spiritually and sustainably oriented mindset. Lots of solar panels and expatriots. But also a lot of thoughtful ideas and applications and a lot of collaboration with local villages.

We spent some time at a pretty cool vegan forest community later that afternoon and learned about bunding and reforestation techniques.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

GandhijiGandhiji
Gandhiji

There is a bronze, walking Gandhi in almost every city it seems.
Gandhi's childrenGandhi's children
Gandhi's children

Some cute boys posing for the camera
Center for Scientific ResearchCenter for Scientific Research
Center for Scientific Research

We took a tour of the Center in Auroville. Very cool projects, lots of smart, capable members and great ideas!
earthen clay blocksearthen clay blocks
earthen clay blocks

An eccentric (probably totally brilliant) French architect demonstrated the power of the earthen block as opposed to cement.
Solar collector Solar collector
Solar collector

this solar bowl helps to steam heat all the food for the main cafeteria
MatrimandirMatrimandir
Matrimandir

The Mother and center of Auroville (and the universe?)
Sadnha ForestSadnha Forest
Sadnha Forest

Vegan forest living! A very small community within Auroville lives a very simple life in the forest, working on reforesting the region and improving water recharge. So far so good!


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb