Holi Celebration: Can you find us in all these colors?


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Orissa » Cuttack
March 19th 2009
Published: March 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Margaret & Stan at HoliMargaret & Stan at HoliMargaret & Stan at Holi

I told you India was colorful!
Think of Halloween and Purim rolled into one big celebration and you start to get the spirit of the unique Hindu festival of Holi. Holi is steeped in legends of love and romance, observed in different ways throughout the country, but one main ingredient of the festivities is that everyone gets painted with colors as you walk along the street or visit family and friends. Stan and I did not escape the powdered and liquid colors which were thrown on us by friend and stranger alike and the phrase accompanying this bold act is “bura na mano holi hai” which means ”don’t take offence. It’s Holi”.
It all started with legends. One legend is that it is a celebration of the love for Lord Krishna that was realized when an evil spirit Holika was burned. The burning of Holika was the reason for festivity, a tradition which today is celebrated by lighting bonfires followed by a riotous play of colors making the festival of Holi. According to another legend, the festival reflects the everlasting love between Lord Krishna and Radha. Lord Krishna confided to his mother that he felt inferior to Radha, because of his dark complexion. She pacified
Holi CowHoli CowHoli Cow

Even the cows are colored on the first day of Holi
him and told him to apply color on Radkha’s face. Krishna did so and that was the beginning of Holi. Due to the timing of the festival, it is also seen by many as a celebration of the coming of spring.
In any event, no one is spared the color wash which greets you as you go outside during the morning hours - even the cows were painted the first day of Holi. Mischievous play is in the air and we spent some time with people from our service project. Also, the Indian family with which we are now living had all their children come over and more colors were spread about. There are pictures of them, but I’m sure it is difficult to recognize us with all the colors. I can tell you it took us quite a long time to get the colors off our bodies and we threw away our clothes which were hopelessly stained. But it was a lot of fun.
Earlier in the same week, we woke up to loud music and clanging drums outside our hotel room, surprised to learn that it was the birthday of Mohammed. Hundreds of male Muslims were marching past in a colorful procession in honor of Mohammed’s Birthday. There was a field of white clad Muslims for as long as the eye could see, interspersed with colorful and decorated floats. All generations were represented and there was a joyful but respectful atmosphere of the participants in honor of the birth of Islam’s great prophet, Mohammed.
India continues to present us with a diversity of religions, people and traditions which add to the mystery and beauty of this ancient civilization.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Indian Family with whom we are livingIndian Family with whom we are living
Indian Family with whom we are living

we're in there somewhere?
What more is there to say about Holi?What more is there to say about Holi?
What more is there to say about Holi?

Time to move on and take a shower!
Cow getting ready to rideCow getting ready to ride
Cow getting ready to ride

Anything is possible in India!


19th March 2009

Oh you crazy kids!
21st March 2009

primeval events
You appear to be returning to a 'state of nature' re-created in man made colors, parades, festivals, etc. Will you ever be able to go home again? It looks exciting to be part of this grand civilization with new events and people every day.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb