The Best Things Come in Small Packages - Miniature Wonderland


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory
September 27th 2017
Published: September 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Miniature Wonderland, or Miniatur Wunderland as it is called in German, is not short of mesmerizing. Located in Hamburg, this wonderland has the distinction of being the largest model railway in the world. It has more than 13,000 meters of railways tracks and tiny replicas of provinces in Germany and many well-known places in Europe and America. If that was not enough, Miniature Wonderland even has a completely functional airport!

The Attraction of Miniature Wonderland



If you have always wanted to visit Miniature Wonderland, now is a good time to plan your visit to Hamburg, Germany. And, you can be certain that you won’t be alone when you head into this museum. Many surveys have revealed that respondents have voted it as the most popular tourist attraction in the country. That is a testament to its popularity.

This model railway system opens up a whole new world for children and adults. In a single day, you can visit the mini version of Italy, North America, France, the Alps in Austria or Harz region in Germany. And, there are many construction sites that are open to visitors, where they can try their hands at the building.

It can be awe-inspiring after exploring Hamburg, you see the miniature replica of the city. It is spread over 200 square meters and is home to more than 50,000 Wunderländer, as the miniature residents of the city are called. You will be amazed to see that some of the main attractions of Hamburg, like the Hamburg Hauptbahnhof and Michel and Hagenbecks Tierpark Zoo, in front of your eyes.

Recommended Post: The Best of Berlin

History of the Miniature Wonderland



Frederik Braun visited Zurich in 2000 and while roaming the streets of the city, he came across a railway model shop. Immediately, he was transported to his childhood and how he wanted to build and play with railway models. The next few hours, Frederik could not get the railway model out of his mind and the more he thought, the more certain he was that building a railway model was the way forward.

So, the same day he called Gerrit, his twin brother, and informed him that the duo was going to construct the world’s largest model railway. Of course, Gerrit was skeptical about it and did not take his twin too seriously. However, after persistent calls from Frederik, Gerrit realized that his brother was serious and began planning for it. Finally, they put their heads together and came up with Miniature Wonderland, which is constructed to a scale of 1:87. You will realize that watching the models that the technology is custom-built and makes everything life-like.

Touring The Miniature Wonderland



When you visit the Miniature Wonderland, begin your tour from the fictional town of Knuffingen, which is located somewhere between the Harz and the Alps. This tiny town is home to 10,000 denizens and has a farmer’s market, airport, and a local fire department. It can be thrilling to witness the plane take off at the airport or watch the fire department douse out a fire in a building.

The accuracy and authenticity of Miniature Wonderland are spellbinding. You will be able to see the rowdy and chaotic celebrations during Oktoberfest or see a soccer match in progress in a stadium in Hamburg. The residents in Wonderland can move around just like you, going through everyday activities of life, including dancing, biking, and camping.

When you see this attraction in Germany, you will definitely agree that the best things in life do come in small packages!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb