the taj! and chai chai masala chai chai chai chai masala chaiiiiii...


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

So! How do we explain our experience in India... it's so strange that it is difficult to describe. It's ana amazing place, and a horrible hell at the same time. Everyone feels the same. We love it one minute, we hate it the next. There is no way to describe the way, as a budget traveller, you get hassled, scammed, stared at, taken pictures of, lied to, yelled at, singled out... there's just a lot of disrespect. But.... on the other hand, there are so many truly nice, extremely friendly people we've met that have made travelling in India such an incredibly positive experience. It's really an incredile, incredible, awesome place... so many different types of people... all working together to make things work (sort of). There is a lot of poverty and corruption, and a whole whack of political issues going on at all times. The papers are alllways full of local news. So much is happening all the time. It's lively, it's crazy, it's crowded... it's never loneley, or stagnant or cold. And the weather was just silly... India was a million things. Everything was fascinating... everything was so radically different than at home. Obviously... So many really cool people... so many wacky people (but the wackiest were by far the straaaaange @professional travellers@)... such a rich history! It was an amazing experience... and we'll defenitely be back. The sound of the @chai chai masala chai chai chai@ vendors on the trains are enough to bring us back for another round of travel one day... and the random cows, who are so smart they've conned their way into getting free chapati from house-owners... Everything was cool... crazy, though. chaa.

Our last few days in Delhi were spent jut chilling with our funny friend Farhaan... we gave us a lot of free aryuvedic massages, and we spent too many an afternoon in his shop, drinking (as he would say), very VERY good chai... Evan picked up the Sitarrrr and the tablaaaaas, which are RAD beyond beleif...

We went to the Taj Mahal... it was amazing... Quite a beaut. We spent quite a few hours there, in what must be the cleanest part of india, admiring the gorgeous wonder of the world. We got scammed a bit by our rickshaw driver, and had a few too many sneaky pictures very rudely taken of us... but it was a great afternoon...

Too soon, we left New Delhi... India... Asia... (AAAAAHHH!!!!!!!)... for (dun dun dun...)
LONDON. righty-o.


Advertisement



1st June 2006

cool cool India
Wow! India sounds so different and it sounds like you guys had quite an experience there!!! I cant believ your trip is winding down and your FINALLy going to LONDON! That should be fun, but different!! iam tres tres excited for Monday!!!!!!!!!!
1st June 2006

Drawing to a close...
To quote a song from few years back, "Every new beginning comes from some other new beginnings end". While this journery of a life time draws to a close, your experiences will travel with you for a lifetime and new ones will come from it. Even though you have travelled around the world and have been introduced to so many different cultures, it was evident that there are people all over the world who are willing to offer a helping hand no matter where you go. India, sounds like a very complex country which is full of opposing images and values...hopefully this will give you guys a greater appreciation of how wonderful our country is and that we are fortunate to live in Canada. Have a great time in London and we look forward to seeing you on Monday. ttyl
5th June 2006

Wellcome back!
I was hoping for a London blog, but since your flight for TO will be leaving shortlyI will add my final comments now. Thanks for letting us share in your amazing Southeast Asia Journey!Your blogs have been delightful, informative, inspiring, (sometimes worrying)etc. etc. It has been lots of fun keeping up with your wonderful adventures - just like following two characters in a book - and even better than OLN! We are very excited to be seeing you two in person soon- tonight in fact . Have a great trip back! Mom.
30th June 2006

i completely feel you
i searched the site for ideas about where to stay in delhi and saw your entry! That is EXACTLY how my friends and I feel. Seriously, cows think they are pedestrians and bicycle riders think they are 4-wheel SUVS! It takes me a good 10 minutes to get the nerve to cross streets over here...but nonetheless, I am completely relishing the experience. Its been heaps of fun, and a great realization of how fortunate we are to be living the western life! side note though...any recos for places to stay in delhi??? if so, please let me know: caroline_yacu@yahoo.com. if not....safe safe travels and best of luck to you!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb