India Mumai - Delhi: Goodbye, hello


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
June 17th 2009
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Unlike previous endaviors, everything went according to plan this time around. Monday we explored the fort area in mumbai which wasn't so different from the Colaba district where we were staying. This doesn't necessarily mean it was dull. Nothing seems to be dull in India. Just the same experience that bombards the senses. maybe we are finally getting used to it.

In the evening we saw a bollywood movie and I must say, I liked it, the first hour that is. The first hour contains lots of music, dance, poor dialog and a hero who can do virtually everything. The 2nd hour s just more of the same and during the 3rd you just start craving for it to stop. The national athem, crazy do-not-phone-while-driving-commercials and a reminder not to take bombs into the cinema more then made up for the boring 2nd half of the movie though. It is unnesicary to say that if I ever own a cinema myself, would surely introduce that last part.

Thue I had a difference of oppinion with some monkeys on elephanta Island. Although I was sure of my ownership of an apple, them persky monkeys thought otherwise. After a brief scrimage and threats being trown both sides, I rose above the affari and altruistically donated the remainder of my apple. Read: I chickened out.

The rock carved temples on the Ilsand were interesting but not spectacular. Futher, on this trip it seems we were an attraction aswell. Seemingly, few Indian tourists had ever seen an European and thus had to take a picture, often unasked for. When they did ask, we humourisly tried to charge them 250 rupees. Although this joke was Ill recieverd, It is the same ammount a foreigner pays to enter the site, upposed to 10 rupees for Indians! I didn't see the humour in that either.

The remnants of the day were used on preparations for our trip to delhi.

We arrived in Delhi around noon and soon found ourselves in a rollercoaster ride again (taxi). Dropped at new Delhi trainsation we met a man who kept trying to convince us to go to the tourist office asap, because Indian vacation spelled full hotels and trains. Although he seemed really genuin and tried to sent us to a tourist office recommended by the lonly planet, he was pushing us a little to much. Thus we left him and his richshaw friend at the station and went to our already reservated hotel.

At the hotel we heard from the employees that he was surely a tout and he was bount to get some sort of comission out of it (a comission we would pay). Either from the tourist office, but more likely by taking us to some other ' reputable' place.

Until now we have been reasonably succesfull in flushing out touts and taxi-wallahs. Yet this one was very sophisticated, even trying to convince us he was working for the railway. Enough to conclude that any 'help' unasked for should be considered highly dubious and the person offering it probably a tout. We determined that the best way to deal with these people is firm rejection and if not enough, calling the police.

This is a sad way of having to deal with some of the residents in this country but it's the only way to surely saveguard ourselves and more particulary our money. During out time here were bound to reject some individuals who are genuinly nice and I feel sorry for that. Yet seperating the good from the bad requires lots of effort and holds a potential risk. Frankly, India for me, is already taxing enough and I rather hurt a few individuals feelings and be safe and sound, than poor and sorry.

Luckely India is divided into multiple castes and as long as their not out for your money I enjoy their company tremendously

Advertisement



19th June 2009

stories
dear Johan en Ilse, I have enjoyed reading your travel stories so far. big hug for both of you. please stay safe and sound and enjoy your amazing journey your mum
22nd June 2009

stries
dear Johan en Ilse. I enjoy reading your travel stories, you really make things alive. Many things happen to you and Ilse and I admire your strenght an flexibility. Please stay safe and sound and enjoy your amazing journey. A big hug for both of you. your mum

Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb