Holy Cows!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
February 14th 2009
Published: February 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sarah and I finally touched down in Delhi after 2 hours sleep and a couple days of travel. We were greeted by a driver at the gate to take us to our hostel in the tiniest death car you have ever seen. The minute we hit the road you could instantly feel the chaos that is this city. People drive millimeters apart and there is no regard for general driving rules. The only rule I could see is that if you honk people will "hopefully move." There were clothed kids holding unclothed babies in the middle of the highway, but that still wasn't enough to take my eyes off the road. I never knew it was so exciting to take a cab from the airport.

We arrived at the Namaskar Hotel which is in the heart of the backpackers haven, Parharganj. The minute we stepped out of the car we were bombarded by the most chaotic scene you have ever seen. The streets were lined with little shops, food stalls, and cows eating garbage and wandering around. The one thing that is hard to do is face the little children begging in the streets. We were lead down an alley to our hostel which was also lined with beggars, food stalls, and what seemed to be a pee wall which was fully occupied. We finally made it to our hostel, and were showed to our room which was bright pink.

After we checked in and sat down for a second Sarah and I decided to go explore Parharganj. It is hard to escape people trying to sell you something and men who swear "they are not trying to sell anything, just be your friend." We decided to grab some food and brave our first meal in India, and people watch. The meal was excellent, and we finally got to eat with our hands, and we had the pleasure of having a man come to our table to bless us with a prayer.

Our first day in Delhi was a crazy experience, and no "Delhi belly" yet! As strange as this might sound, after writing everything above... what a beautiful start to our honeymoon!

Now we are heading off to the Southern province of Kerala. We will give an update once we are settled.

Sorry we still haven't figured out our picture situation as of yet. But we are trying really hard.

Advertisement



16th February 2009

Wow!
What a start! Reading your blog gives me a hectic and amazing visual! Can't wait to see the pictures...Love you Mom and Dad...xoxo
16th February 2009

Have fun, if you Latika tell her Jamal is looking for her.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb