New Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
January 14th 2009
Published: January 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We intented to only stay in Agra one night but the train we wanted to get on to Delhi was booked out. That was a first for us all trip. So we booked for first thing the next morning and went off to find a hotel that had a vacant room. That also turned out to be a bit of a mission. We ended up across from our favourite snack restaurant (the only restaurant that served beer). That night we organised with the chef of that restaurant to cook us breakfast (cheese tomato toasties) and we would take it on the train, we meet him at 5:00am in the morning so he got up even earlier to cook it for us..
While waiting at the train station to board for dehli at 6 in the morning we bought a Chai tea and found a scared looking German guy trying despritley to work out what carriage to get on, we pulled him aside and and helped him work out where to go. It turns out he bought the cheapest ticket possible which is a super hard bench seating car and free for all seating arrangment. We on the other hand bought chair car tickets which have seperate semi comfy seats that recline, he was so scared that he asked if it was okay to sit with us. We said it would be okay your in India, you can sit where ever you want. luckily the train wasnt busy and he was able to sit next to us all the way even after the ticket man went over his ticket :D Sebastian turned out to be a really nice guy he explained he was meeting up with some friends in a couple of days and couldnt wait.
We got off the train at Delhi just before lunch, we were heaps hungry and not looking forward to touts. It turned out the touts were okay in Dehli, they must of been able to smell us and worked out we had been here for a couple of weeks. After walking throught the main Bazzar with heaps of tourist stuff we found a restaurant for lunch, by then it was around 12:30pm so we started to order and the guy says they are still only doing breakfast?
While eating our Breaklunch we worked out that the hotel we wanted to stay in was just around the corner. We checked in for 2 nights and payed double the price of places in Rajisthan but we were so happy cause we could finally unload our bags and not have to worry.
We dicided we should try and find the Red Fort of Old Dehli and catch the Mtero to get there. The Metro is a subway which is SUPER clean and on time.. we couldnt believe our eyes. When we got to the right station we jumped off and starting walking the rest of the way, some where down the track we took a wrong turn and ended up walking around a local area that was heaps! busy and had really confusing winding back streets.. we got lost. We just kept walking and walking and couldnt find our way out. To me it felt like 2 hours of walking but Nina can correct me on that one.
After getting cranky we started asking locals "where are we, do you know where the Red Fort is" this is one of the biggest monument in Dehli and unlucky for us most had minimal english. We eventually found a pedal rickshaw driver who worked out what we were saying a took us there, we probably got ripped of but at that point $20 would of been okay.
We had enough time to walk around the massive fort, it has a huge moat and even bigger walls. The same guy that built the Taj also built this fort.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

ShopsShops
Shops

The shopping strip inside the fort was originally for royalty requirments


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb