White Tshirt scam


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
December 5th 2005
Published: December 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today is Sunday so alot of places are closed. We set off to visit the Bahai'i Temple in Southern Delhi. It's a Temple that's devoted to all religions and all are welcome to come and pray or meditate according to their own faith. It's a beautiful place and families come from all over India to visit. It was great to see everyone dressed up for a day out; some of the saris the Indian women wear are exquisite. Obviously some had never seen white folk before as we were asked to pose for photographs with 3 different families!!!!!
When we first arrived in India we made a point of wearing our oldest scruffiest stuff to blend in and not look to fresh. This being day 3 and us feeling more confident we risked wearing new white teeshirts. Big mistake. Our tuk-tuk driver firstly agreed to take us to the temple, then his 'brother' arrived and took over. We were whisked away to a taxi stand (alot more expensive) where we were told that his brother was a fool who couldn't speak English. He and a taxi driver told us there was no way a tuk-tuk could take us to the temple which was a great distance away. Apparently the only people who could help us now were the people in the tourist office (!!??). Here we could arrange trains for the rest of our stay in India and he would bring us there in his taxi. For a price. He was trying to scam us, but he ended up being on the other end of the 'Western White T-shirt' scam. By this point we were half way to the temple - we told him this was not agreed and that if he wouldn't take us to the temple he would not be paid. He kept up the babble, the rickshaw was broken, the temple was closed, did we want flights to Goa..... he didn't get paid, we walked. One nil to the Westies.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb