First Day in India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 31st 2005
Published: January 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, we finally made it to India On Air Canada (via Toronto and Zurich) about midnight last night Sunday, October 30th. This was Air Canada's inaugral flight into Zurich. As such no one seem to know exactly what to do with the Delhi passengers once we landed. What they finally decided was not to allow us off the plane while attempting to account for all the onboard overhead baggage. We thought this was odd as they made no attempt to account for the baggage on the floor and under the seat. Needless to say, we were late to leaving Zurich and thus late arriving in Delhi.

However, we did arrive in time to experience the full day of Halloween in India, not that they celebrate it here! Any way, the driver to the hotel met us at the airport as promised and drove us to the hotel where we had reservations, the Wongdhen House. On arrival, about 1:30 AM, the desk clerk there told us he had given our rooms to others. (So, it is true that reservations in India don’t mean much) Thankfully however, the clerk had secured us rooms at a nearby place, Potala House. At that time in he morning we didn’t have any alternatives, so the driver and his friend took us there.

First impressions were a bit misleading at the Potala House. It looked a mess - as the lobby was barricaded as it is being remodeled. In addition, the man there (sleeping on a couch) didn’t speak a work of English. Nevertheless, with the driver’s help, we secured rooms that looked clean and rather nice. So we got settled in for the night about 2:15 AM. About our hotel, it is located north old Delhi in at the New Tibetan Colony, Majnu Ka Tilla, So Tibetans, not Indians, are in the majority around here. Note, there are some common traits about inexpensive hotels in India. They do not provide any towels, soap or toilet paper. So you better come prepared.

Today we got up early (I couldn’t sleep). We caught a taxi to take us downtown New Delhi to the official travel tourism office. There we booked a private driver/tour guide and A/C car for the day. This cost us about $27.50 including the tip. He showed us around New Delhi to see the Delhi Gate (Memorial to Indian Soldiers), Hunayun’s Tomb (was an example for the Taj Mahal), Baha'i Temple (Lotus Temple - striking white marble building in the shape of a lotus flower), the Qutb Minar Complex (a 73 m tall victory tower circa 1200 AD that includes magnificent intricate stone carved screens). Finally, we stopped in Old Delhi and toured the shopping market street (Chanting Chow) while it was in full rush hour confusion. What a sight! At about 7 Pm, we retuned ‘home’ to the New Tibetan Colony for a surprising good dinner at the Wongdhen House. We ate at the Wongdhen House but no, we didn’t change hotels as we decided to stay at the Potala House, as the rooms at the Wongdhen House were significantly nicer to justify us moving. Now for a good night’s sleep?


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb