The Cold Mountain - Mahabaleshwar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra
January 10th 2008
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A pleasen ride, a relaxing hotel, a maginificient site seeing !!!what else do you need on your vacation with your spouse?This is exactly what we enjoyed during our 2 days vacation to the wonderful Mahabaleshwar in the 2nd week of November 2005..a week after Diwali.

This all began in 1st week of November,when I thought of taking a break and go on vacation.This was indeed very well needed to get away from our routine & get refreshed.This was facilitated by our holoday planning in Office. We finalised our leaves on Monday for rest of 2005 and then I communicated this to Sonu. Sonu also quickly set her dates and there we are...earning a full week of vacation.It was first time since Sonu joined JP Morgan that we both were going on leave together.This is something which made this vacation special.

After taking into consideration a couple of locations like Matheran, Lonavala and a beach resort,finally we opted for Mahabaleshwar.Chief reason being both of us have not been there.We started preparation on the day we were about to leave..on wednesday Nov 9,2005.That afternoon I have invited my college friend Vishal for lunch. He turned up a little late,but then also left earlier than expected.This gave us just enough time for finishing the packing. I have already booked the tickets from Krshna Travels from Gokul Hotel.Before leaving we did some last minute shopping at medical shop and reached the pick up point 10 minutes before appointed time of 8.30 pm. The bus reached a little late but then made up for the lost time on the route. We were very disappointed with the seats assigned to us,but then we shifted to the adjoining one and then stuck to it till the last stop. Somewhere at 45 minutes past midnight, we took a break at the Food Mall on Express Highway after Panvel.It was a good joint. We took a much needed Loo Break and then had some light food before resuming our journey. Soon after we found ourselves sleeping. Obviously the sleep was often broken.Thanx to uneven roads and ghats of Sahyadry.

It was around 7 am next morning when we got down at Market place of Mahabaleshwar.The moment we put our feet down, we were surrounded by numerous Taxi drivers,trying to woo us to hire their services. We picked up a fellow called Maruti.Fortunately Maruti turned out to be a very good taxi driver for the next two days,with whom we went for all the 3 rides that we did during our stay.After having a look at around 5 hotels in and around Market place, we picked up Hotel Lake View.It wasn't tough decision at all for both of us.Lake View is spread over a area of 3 acers and boast of all the facilities that one can expect at a 3-Star Hotel..A restaurant, a swimming pool with Jacuzzi,A sports bar, a Dance floor,wondreful walkways surrounded by lush green trees.After paying advance amount of 1000 bucks , we went to our Room. It was Executive Ac Suite with a marvellous view of the swimming pool from its window. We both were dead tired and hungry too. So first we both had a bath. No need to mention that we had it together.We enjoyed it that way!After changing into a fresh pair, we went to the restaurant for our breakfast and thats the time we realised that we have made a right choice by selecting Lake View. It was a very good breakfast after a 10 hour journey. After the breakfast,we marched out of the hotel towards the marketplace.

Mahabaleshwar Marketplace is located on a long strech of a road at 5 minutes walk from our hotel.We called home and told Mom & Dad about our safe arival and whereabouts.Then we did a lot of windowshopping. We also got ourselves a Jute bag to carry our daily stuff to office.Strawberry is the flavour of this hill station. Can anyone stay without having a taste of it?Neither did we.And it was Sonu obviously who bought a nice little katori of Strawbery for us.We wondered there for about an hour,but then we were tired.Hence we returned to the hotel room for some rest. Soon we were fast asleep.It was a call from the restaurant at 2 pm that woke us up.We have to oblige as we were hungry and the lunch time closes at 2.30 pm there. We quickly got refreshed and then reached the restaurant to have a feast of variety of food.We enjoyed the lunch very much!Aftre the lunch, we took a few strolls to help digest the food.Soon it was 3.30 and our driver Maruti arrieved at the hotel to take us to our first tour of Mahabaleshwar of 6 points,including Sunset point.

Enjoying the beauty of the surrounding vallies, we first reached a platter where there are 3 points,Kates Point, Echo Point and Needle Hole Point.These point offer a breathtaking view of Venna lake and river from where it sourced it water.We were welcomed by a few monkeys there,which reminded me Monkeys at Matheran.But unlike those ones,these monkeys are not troublesome.Defenitely a relief!!!We took the camera out and started taking snaps on the backdrop of those wonderful mountains.Unfortunately the camera cells went down and we have to purchase a fresh pair from a nearby shop at a premium of Rs.5.We both cursed ourselves for not carring the additional pair of cells for a moment.But then these things happen!!Next in line were Elephant Head Point and Lodwick Point.For both these points,we have to walk a kilometer in the woods before we reach the spot.But the walk is worth the pain. Lodwick to me and Sonu is the best point that we have seen at Mahabaleshwar.It resembles Fort Pratapgadh in shape and extends like a long stick out of the edge of the mountain. We watched the sunset for that day from Lodwick point only,before reaching the parking lot to get us back to hotel.It was one of the most wonderful sunset that I have seen in my life. A sunset in the arms of my sonu..too good!!Within 15 minutes we reached hotel.We paid Maruti Rs.355 for this ride.But believe me it was worth it!Back at the hotel room, the tiredness was still there.We tried switching the TV channels,but signals were too bad to watch anything. Hence we decided to have our dinner and then retire back to the bed as soon as possible. But before going to bed,the plans for day 2 were set up. It was end of a wonderful Day one at Mahabaleshwar.

Previous night we have decided to get up early in the morning, to catch up the sunrise from Wilson point.Next day morning,we got up at 8.30.thanx to the wake up call by hotel staff and alarm on our mobile.We quickly got refreshed and went to the restaurant for our breakfast;but not before clicking our snaps on the backdrop of wonderful view that our Room no 401 offers from its large window.At the breakfast it was a solid and heavy breakfast.Idli vada sambar, batate pohe,Sweet lime juice and Tea/coffie.We took our time to enjoy the breakfast.Finally it took us 8 am to get ready and get out to go to Wilson point.Wilson point is around 30 minutes walk from our hotel.Upto a certain point,there are people around, so you feel good.But then as you approach the point which is a huge flat ground on a high mountain,you see no people around...absolutely no one.One of the reason for there being no people around is we were at the point at a wrong time..a good hour late after the sunrise.But to be frank, it was scary.Kisi anjan jagah pe kudhko akele pana bahut darawana hota hai and we were so much into that we were unable to enjoy moments at that point.We took a return journey immediately after reaching there.We did clicked a few snaps..but that was it.We got comfortable as we came closer to the market.It was time for a quick bath to get refreshed and begin our second trip to Pratapgadh.


I got out first and packed the stuff for our Pratapgadh tour.Sonu came in quickly to check if i have done all things right.At 10.30 our driver Maruti was already there.It was us who got there a little late,but that did not caused any delay in reaching the fort. Maruti made up for the lost time by speeding up the car.On the way,we witnessed a rare waterfall (taking into consideration the fact that this is early november) at one of the several ghats that we crossed.This 70-75 feet waterfall was a visual treat with water gushing down its stream. We took two of our most beautiful snaps at this place.It was a hour long journey in which I managed to shave my stubs with my philishaver.

At the Fort,we were amazed by the height at which it is situated..a whooping 3600 feet above the sea level. This is the highest fort located in Maharashtra.Its really a wonder that they built this fort at this height in the 16th century.hats off to the architects.This fort has been made famous by the killing of Mughal commander Afzalkhan.He was sent to kill Shivaji Maharaj from Vijapur by the then King Aurangzeb.Shivaji maharaj choosed this fort to meet Afzalkhan,specially b'use of the height at which it was located.Eventually he was killed by Shivaji Maharaj on June 1659.The place at which he was killed has been turned into a tomb,but due to growing communial tensions the place is closed for visit.SO we can only see it from outside.But that sight was enough to inspire us.Whats more,there was a sacred shahenai music being played at the Bhavani temple on the top of the fort.And from then on that music is associated with fort Pratapgadh.Whenever we hear it henceforth,it will remind us of our visit there!

At the onset, we hired a guide to help us see all the historical places on the fort.It includes a cave at the bottom of the fort which was used to hide a group of mavlas when Afzalkhan was scheduled to meet Shivaji Maharaj to take care of any emergancies,the main gate,the balekilla,the rajmarg from where Shivaji Maharaj used to reach the Bhavani temple on fort,the Bhavani temple itself where we saw a star studded sword of then commander of maratha force,Hambirrao Mohite.It is believed that 600 enemy soldiers were killed by him with that sword.Other historical places includes the Shiva temple,the kadelot point,the place where Jijamata palace was in place.Unfortunately it was destroyed by the British forces when they ruled India.At every juncture we captured the glory of this fort in the best way possible in our digicam.we were at the fort for about an hour and a half.but within that time we had the truly valuable time. Before climbing down the fort,we visited a handicraft exhibition there.We picked up a key holder and a small wooden pot and of course a beautifully crafted keychain as souveniers.As we climb down memories of Shivaji Maharaj and his valour emerged strongly in our minds.At 1.15 we reached the bottom at the taxi stand. After remenurating our guide, a old uncle for his verbal services,we left Pratapgadh for our hotel.On the way back,we tahnked god for his blessings to have such a wonderful time off the work.

It was close of 2.00 and our stomach was giving us signals that we should have our lunch at the earliest.After a nice lunch we staright haeded for a the gymkhana at the hotel. We started with Carrom,but the board was very rough.Hence we shifted to Sapshidi.I won at the carrom and sonu beat me at the sapshidi.We were having loads of fun!!After sapshidi,it was turn of table tennis. neither of us have been college champs,but we did managed well at the hotel.We never realised it was almost 3.30 ..the time for our third and final ride of Mahabaleshwar.This one consist of remaining 12 points,most of which are on the same strech.Maruti took us to the last point first..the mountain range where we have around 6 points together.Well known among them is the Arthur Point which is called King of Mahabaleshwar points.And it really is.Incidently for us,a group of school boys & girls arrieved there at the same time.They hired a guide and we took advantage of it. We joined the gang and got services of a guide free of charge.We had a nice big peru on our way back from that hill.On our way back...we watched quiet a few points, namely Monkey Point,Savitri point,Elpheston Point which is also a Sunset point.We reached there just in time to catch the glimpse of sunset. We captured those beautiful moments in our Olympus Camera.It becomes dark in no time after after the sunset. Finding our wayback,we decided to get down at the market instead of hotel.After paying Maruti his dues and thanking him for his safe driving on all the three tours,we then booked our return tickets with the same traveler ie. Krishna Tours.We have decided to check out the next morning,so we needed cash to settle our payments at hotel.We didnot have enough cash so we withdraw some 5000 bucks from the only ATM at Mahabaleshwar.Its a SBI atm.After withdarwl,we hfeast on buta (corns) and pani puri. We both love pani puri... specially in the evenings!!After doing some more window shopping,we returned to hotel at around 8.30 pm.It was time for dinner.But before that we went to the hotel room and got refreshed.That nite the dinner was arranged in the lawns and they had a special friday menu.They had chinese as well as mughalai.We had a bit of both and guess what!!There was pani puri too!!There was a magic show going on for kids on the lawns and they were enjoying it.We both too became kids for a moment and had our share of fun.After a eventful day,we were tired.That apart,we also have to get up early in the morning.So we went to bed soon that nite.

Next morning,we got up at around 7.30 and washed out face.We didnot had bath that morning b'use that cud have taken a little more time.We packed all our stuff and checked out at around 8.00.We then had a good breakfast before we left the hotel for Mumbai.To catch up our bus,we had to go to market once again.At the bus stop,we were the first one to reach for our bus.But we didnot wait for long.Our bus moved at 9.30 against scheduled time of 9.15.On our way back,we were climing down,so it was a smooth road,but twists & turns of Ghats defenitely posed a threat many times.At around noon time,we took a lunch break at some Garden Restaurant on Satara road.The food as expected was that good,we had no other choice.Sonu had a good sleep during this time.Next stop was on Mumbai -pUNE expressway. And this was a fantastic stop.Huge..spacious,eqiopped with a Convenience Shop,a Pizza Point,a petrol Pump and ofcourse rest room.It reminded me of stops in US.This one would match with them in all respect.We had a black forest and a pinapple pestry,some refreshments and a cup of tea,before we resumed our journey.Expressway is just too good and gives us a flavour of world class roads.After taking stops at several places,we finally got down at the last stop of Borivaly National Park.From there we picked up a auto and reached home.It was around 6.00 pm when we reached near home.We were dam hungry so we had some refreshments at the local hotel and then went home.Back at home,first thing we did is to put all our clothes in Washing machine.We got bath and came down to Saujanya to share our moments with Aai & Baba.By that time, I have already downloaded all snaps on our laptop,which made it better to view all those wonderful snaps and share with them the joy and fun that we had on our first pinic after marriage.

This Mahabaleshwar trip was unique in many ways for both of us.Firstly neither of us have been there before.Apart from enjoying wonders of nature,it offered us a much needed break from our routine.It was planned on a short notice,but went extremly well as fas as travel,stay,food,siteseeing is concerned.In fact,it turned out to be better than what we expected.we experienced Some of the most precious moments of our life at Mahabaleshwar..and not to forget,some of the most wonderful snaps of Sonu..in all her moods!!


Advertisement



11th October 2008

Nice writing!
Sachin, Nice long travelogue. I also did the Mahabaleshwar-Pratapgadh loop last year. Take a look at my snaps at http://www.outdoordesi.com/photos/mahabaleshwar-india-2007
29th December 2009

mahabaleshwar
Enquiry about mahabaleshwar travel and stay
28th July 2012

places to see in maharashtra
This lovely hill station offers a number of exciting activities to the tourists..really nice write-up..thanks for sharing such a nice information

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb