Kerala - God's own country


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala
June 27th 2006
Published: July 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After coming back to India from Singapore, I chose to take a break at Kerala from 27th to the 30th of June with my family. Me, my brother, my dad and mom packed stuff and left for Coimbatore city, located in the state of Tamilnadu from the state capital Chennai, by train on the 26th night. After reaching Coimbatore the next morning, we rented a Qualis (jeep) and went to Aliyar, a place near Pollachi near the Aliyar dam. After joining my grandparents, the six of us went to the Palani temple (dedicated to Lord Muruga) came back to aliyar and spent the night there. The next day we started for Munnar - a hill station at around ~ 5000 metres above sea level. The star highlight about Munnar is that it is not commercialized as Ooty (Udhagamandalam) or Kodaikanal, and has vast expanses of tea plantations. The area was discovered by British explorers and engineers who found the soil suitable for tea and planted tea here. The views were splendid with mist covered mountains and waterfalls. We stayed in Munnar the night at the Hill view hotel (US$28 per day for an economy double bed room) and enjoyed the cold weather - a welcome change from the 38 degree celsius in Chennai. The next morning, we went to the Madupatty dam, and enjoyed the landscape and weather there and started on the journey to Kumarakkom.

The journey from Munnar to Kumarakkom took us through the heart of Kerala - mountainous regions, sloped-roof houses, waterfalls, lots of Toddy (Coconut-based intoxicating drink) shops and of course copious bursts of rain. The villages and cities of Kerala were a sight to watch, in stark contrast to the water-starved Tamilnadu. We reached Kumarakkom at 7 PM, and not much to do for the day than rest at the Paddy Fields resort.

Kumarakkom is green, wet and beautiful. The season (May-July) is monsoon and continuous incessant rains are a common sight. The landscape is beautiful with backwaters, and houses on either side of the canal. Kumarakkom was called as the "Venice of the East", as people regularly use boats to travel from one house to another. The local people rent the boats they own to tourists. The next day we started at around 7 AM and took the boat to go around the canals for a fantastic view of Kumarakkom, the houses, and head out onto the vast expanse of the river to an island....

After spending 3 hours on the boat ride, we came back to the hotel, ate the local speciality food - karimeen (fried fish) and checked out of the hotel to head back to Coimbatore. he train journey from Coimbatore will bring us back to Chennai tomorrow morning.

I have posted some pics taken with my Digicam in Munnar...The Kumarakkom pics will be posted soon...




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Munnar - Madupatty damMunnar - Madupatty dam
Munnar - Madupatty dam

A serene sight...Is it not?
I jus wanted to get as close to the water...I jus wanted to get as close to the water...
I jus wanted to get as close to the water...

...But didnt have the mood to dip
Water...fallsWater...falls
Water...falls

Cascades like these are a common sight throughout Kerala. It was a great sight to watch villagers wash clothes, swim and live alongside
Kumarakkom - The paddy fields resortKumarakkom - The paddy fields resort
Kumarakkom - The paddy fields resort

We stayed in this resort...Pretty cottage isnt it?
Kumarakkom - Pathiramanal, a small backwater island off the main cityKumarakkom - Pathiramanal, a small backwater island off the main city
Kumarakkom - Pathiramanal, a small backwater island off the main city

Looks like a jungle right? I felt like how European explorers felt while exploring Africa four centuries back :)


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb