First Blog from Varkala


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Varkala
December 18th 2008
Published: December 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just arrived in Varkala two days ago. We were here two years ago and noticed a few changes. Things are certainly much quieter along the cliff top. The market sellers seem a bit listless like they don't have the energy for the extra effort required to sell now. One of the lcoals told us that they don't quite know how to sell differently when things are slow. All Indians here quote the Mumbai attacks and the Economy for the smaller number of visitors here. Apparently it was also quiet last winter season.

Things are certainly busy on the beach it seems just as busy as before. Maybe its the most inexpensive way to spend your time here. Varkala still is beautiful and doesn't seem to have given over to mass tourism yet.

One difference I have noticed is the profile of people stay here. Two years ago there was a definite hippy vibe to visitors, particularly noticeable in the indian made clothes they wore. There was also an amazing range of ages of people here. Two years on it seems like there are either young people or olders ones and much less of a hippy vibe with people keeping to their western clothing.

Looking forward to blogging furhter about travels in Kerala. Will publish stories of our journeys in Rajasthan later.



Jaytom

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb