Abracadabra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Trivandrum
January 25th 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We headed to the Kerala state capital, Trivandrum (also known as Thiruvananthapuram) in the hope of seeing some fast handiwork and illusionary at the city's "Academy of Magical Sciences". As it turned out we both had our first Indian tummy bug in a case of a "Sag Aloo" becoming a "Loo Saga", so we holed up in our hotel room for longer than originally intended.

The hum of HBO and Star Movies filled our ears for two days soilid as I sat in sweats with intermittent cramping and bathroom visits. I'm sure it was a dodgy Thali lunch on the drive down from Thekaddy that felled me. With an appetite shot to pieces and a sudden disliking for spice, I was resigned to the familiar names of Pringles, Cadburys, Tropicana and McVitiies.

Feeling weak destroyed any intention of exploring Trivandrum in any great depth but I wasn't going to miss the magic show, so I sank an Imodium for the two-hour duration. The magic was performed only inches in front of us and disappearing coins, cards and sponge balls which then reappeared in new locations or in greater numbers, were just some of the magical feats performed by the dextrous hands of the magician. Of course, fast handiwork was the key but we couldn't see it happening. Some of the tricks were truly unfathomable and a feat achieved with two rubber bands, I cannot begin to understand - remarkably simple but surely impossible, I'm going to crack it though!

Before leaving there was a day long strike by Tuk-Tuk and private taxi drivers in the town (countrywide I think) protesting against government imposed insurance hikes. For many it was an inconvenience - for us it was bliss. No hassle from drivers, quiet roads and a day without pollution and noise. We took the opportunity to get out on foot and see some of the city's architecture and its Maharaja palace before heading on the (government) bus to Kollam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.409s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 36; qc: 168; dbt: 0.2041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb