Kozhikode [Calicut] Today


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kozhikode
November 1st 2016
Published: November 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today Calicut is the largest urban area in the state and 195th largest urban area in the world. Calicut has also adopted the name Kozhikode. Our word “calico”, a type of cotton cloth we use today, actually comes from the name of the city of Calicut. The Chinese lived on the Chinese street now called the Silk Street which was rich with culture. Kozhikode continues to feature a tropical monsoon climate. The city has a highly humid tropical climate with high temperatures recorded from March to May. Kozhikode has been a multi-ethnic and multi-religious town since the early medieval period. The Hindus form the largest religious group, followed by Muslims and Christians. Hindus form the majority at 57.7% of the population and Muslims form 37.6% of the population. The city is administered by the Kozhikode Corporation, and is now headed by a mayor. The city is actually divided into 75 wards, the members of the corporation council are each elected for five years. It has become a major non-leather footwear manufacturing hub in India and has witnessed a building boom in recent years. There are also many premier institutes in the city. In general, Kozhikode is a safe city, however crime is not unheard of. The Muchundi Mosque is also still in existence and is regarded as the oldest standing mosque. Calicut has become a major tourist attraction due to its many beaches and temples frequented by visitors to the beautiful city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb