"Magical Malabar Monsoon in Kozhikode!"


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kozhikode
August 21st 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Scene from monsoon hit rural Kerala!Scene from monsoon hit rural Kerala!Scene from monsoon hit rural Kerala!

This is a small village near Kozhikode in north Kerala
Ever since my early childhood days in Kerala (where I grew up in a rural village) I had been fascinated by the monsoon rains. My long 25 years stint away in Europe added a mysterious touch to it. After re-locating to India almost 3 years ago I now have made it a point to observe this amazing phenomenon when ever and where ever possible. The monsoon rain is something Westerner´s need to experience in order to understand it fully. In the last few years it has become a big attraction for the foreign tourist´s who is visiting Kerala and India. This is what Vickipedia, the famous free encyclopedia on the internet has to say about monsoon:
"A monsoon is a wind pattern that reverses direction on a seasonal basis. The term was originally applied to monsoonal winds in the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. The word is also used to label the season in which this wind blows from the southwest in India and adjacent areas that is characterized by very heavy rainfall, and specifically the rainfall that is associated with this wind.

The southwest monsoon is generally expected to begin around the middle of June and dies down by
Another scene from monsoon hit Kerala!Another scene from monsoon hit Kerala!Another scene from monsoon hit Kerala!

Kozhikode city in monsoon rain
September. It is said that it begins first in the coastal state of Kerala and moves upwards at a rate of roughly 1-2 weeks per state. The monsoon accounts for 80 percent of the rainfall in the country. Indian agriculture (which accounts for 25 percent of the GDP and employs 70 percent of the population) is heavily dependent on the rains, especially crops like cotton, rice, oilseeds and coarse grains. A delay of a few days in the arrival of the monsoon can, and does, badly affect the economy, as evidenced in the numerous droughts in India in the 90s"
Hope this proves to be useful to you all. Attached are a few fotos demonstrating the ferocity of monsoon rain here in Kozhikode.All of them are taken after heay rain with flooded countryside and town areas alike. I look forward to your feedbacks in due course. Take care and God Bless!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Your back garedn now a lake!Your back garedn now a lake!
Your back garedn now a lake!

The speed at which monsoon rain buckets down and stops abruptly is facinating !
Jorneys by foot are slow and action packed!Jorneys by foot are slow and action packed!
Jorneys by foot are slow and action packed!

The rain usually brings action packed life styles with it !!
Another scene from Kerala monsoon!Another scene from Kerala monsoon!
Another scene from Kerala monsoon!

There's always a way of facing the relentless rains here. It makes people more innovative !
the rain brings in a sort of mystery!the rain brings in a sort of mystery!
the rain brings in a sort of mystery!

It maks all the cannals and rivers break their banks. It is water water everywhere but not a drop to drink situation literally !


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb