Kerala, South India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kovalam
January 25th 2013
Published: January 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

SAM_0032SAM_0032SAM_0032

View from balcony
Dear Grace and Mag,

Coming in to land on the plane all I could see were lots of coconut trees and so much greenery. I was surprised as I thought it would be more barren like when we fly into Spain to dads. In the taxi ride to the hotel the colours just improve. Everywhere you look there are pinks, blues, yellows, turquoises and that's mainly the houses let alone all the flowers and beautiful Sari's that the women wear.

The food is lovely lots of flavours, only spicy if you ask and its mainly seafood that comes fresh out the water a day or two before. We have watched a few fishing boats go out and come in with huge nets. Takes them ages to sort them.

I have done and seen quite few different things that are all firsts for me. Been to a museum which was built in a lovely park. All the buildings themselves are impressive let alone what's inside. There were King's and Queen's throne made of ivory and gold (ooooh) 😊

Also went on a backwater trip which was very relaxing sitting on a boat and seeing different birds, flowers and people washing themselves and clothes in the streams/little rivers (the best way I can describe it really).

Went to the train station to get our tickets for the overnight train over to Chennai and it was so so busy. Loads of people with about 10 bags each (slight exaggeration but you get what I mean). Got to join the crowds on Saturday night to get our train- will be interesting 😊

Mainly been relaxing and taking little strolls around the surrounding area. The back alleys are cool. Shops everywhere you might not expect next to nice, perfectly-painted hotels which are then next to shacks held together with bamboo and palm leaves. You can stand in one spot and lots at luxury to your right and poverty to your left. It's fascinating really.

The hotel is amazing as well! The views are spot on and the staff are so friendly and up for a laugh, though very professional with service at dinner time that we didn't know existed! I would recommend Hotel Seaface to everyone if they are going to Kovalam.

That's the best I can do to sum up Kerala and I shall do the same for Chennai when I get there.

ps. the coconuts here are amazing. They're huge and soft and there's lots of juice inside. Bananas can have red skin too and they're yummy (see the photo of our pool side snack!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 103, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SAM_0037SAM_0037
SAM_0037

Museum visit
SAM_0043SAM_0043
SAM_0043

Balcony view just after sunset
SAM_0044SAM_0044
SAM_0044

Dad got a new job
SAM_0048SAM_0048
SAM_0048

Big wave - don't know the person


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb