Getting our tan on in South India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
May 23rd 2007
Published: May 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

You know those really annoying people that travel through places like India, entering the country as a tidy Westerner, yet after months of touring depart a scruffy hippy, claiming that their lives had been changed, they’d discovered some unknown spiritual dimension, and they would never be the same again….?!

Well, we can’t go as far as to say we succumbed completely to the Eastern attire (Emma does want to work for Vogue after-all!) but as cheesy as it sounds, in some small way our lives probably will…..never be the same again.

We endured the most delightful - and disturbing moments of our travels through the Central/South of India…..starting off with 4 days of travel from Rajashtan to Kerala….finding ourselves stranded in the slums of Amhendabad, being confronted by Eunachs on trains demanding money, and being hounded to get on ‘my rickshaw Madame! A very good price for you!’.

However, we were pleasantly surprised by Mumbai, formerly Bombay, but after only 1 night we boarded our 2 night/3 day train journey to the very bottom of the country. Being in a small confined space without air conditioning for that amount of time can be a challenge….we stopped drinking
TravellersTravellersTravellers

In the early hours of day at the train station after all night on the train, spot the white girl!...wishing she could just make a wee bed on the floor and sleep also
water after the first day to avoid the putrid toilets….and had to physically protect our bag of rubbish from being flung out the window! Yet, we shared the journey with 6 Indians, who were as intrigued with us as we were with them. 2 Muslims, and the rest born again Christians (everyone in India is spiritual, you’re frowned upon if you’re not) we had an amazing time with them, sharing food, electronics, laughs, stories….and they protected 2 little white girls who were potentially the bait on the train! Did you all get eyes for Christmas….?!

Quote of train journey: “When embarking on a 2 day train journey, as healthy as it seems, dried apricots are not a wise snack option…!”…..Gassius Maximus…..

We safely arrived in THE most delicious beach we’d ever been to…..the Lonely Planet did say you’d discover the most beautiful beaches in South India, and they were so right!! We located our bungalow surrounded by palm trees and star lanterns, and a full week of preparation for the pending Winter…relaxing and getting our tans on began!

Swimming in the Arabian sea is like swimming in icing sugar…..so smooth and barely salty at all. We spent
TravellersTravellersTravellers

Indian men, gifted in the ability to sleep anywhere, anytime.
hours in the water and laying on the beach eating fresh pineapples, before watching perfectly cylindrical sunsets by night. In Varkala, the small town is on a clifftop, overlooking the beach and the ocean, so at night all the fishing boats would come into shore, with their little lights aglow. It looked like someone had sprinkled fairy dust everywhere…..a photo couldn’t even do it justice!

We met lots of hilarious travelers, with stories we won’t bore you with…..Baubles, and shared many a ‘beer and sunset’ moment. However, after a month in India we were defiantly ready to land ‘on the Continent’……

Shock of Varkala: After Livvy had her first Aryvedic body deep tissue massage……

Masseuse (female) “Please take off all your clothes”
Livvy “Everything?!”
Masseuse “Yes, everything”
Livvy “Are you sure?!”
Masseuse “Yes m’am, I is sure. Every female body is the same, whether you fat, thin, big boned…..I’s never look….”
Livvy mumbles “oh, have mercy….”




Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

TravellersTravellers
Travellers

Due to a travel mix-up we were forced to spend the day in Amendabaad...never heard of it?...not surprised, awful place, awful hotel and tired, grumpy girls.
TravellersTravellers
Travellers

Did I mention tired, grumpy girls?...there's a closeup for you
MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

Our pimp-daddy hotel in Mumbai...we kept waiting for a disco to break out
MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

You can find almost anything in the markets of India - Em's brothers got sent giant baloons for Christmas...lucky boys!
MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

Sister Ananda (on left) at the Woman's University that we visited - she was so sweet to us!
MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

Mumbai by night - beautiful
MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

Livvy, just 2 seconds after a cockroach ran up the restaurant wall...mmmm
MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

The other side of Mumbai...driving through the some of the worlds biggest slums was hard to see
MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

Love this...'Horn Please'
TravellersTravellers
Travellers

Back on the train again, this time for 2 full days and a night - torture. We were well looked after by the locals though, especially by our wee 'guardian angel' behind Em.
TravellersTravellers
Travellers

James, another train friend, playing with our Ipod...hillarious
TravellersTravellers
Travellers

'Im over this' said Livvy
TravellersTravellers
Travellers

'Me too' said Em, check our the knee bruise, she may have fallen off the train, ask for the story - it's a good one.
KeralaKerala
Kerala

Feeling like we had been on the train for 5 years we finally arrive at Varkala beach on the Kerala coast, and it was AMAZING!
KeralaKerala
Kerala

Crazy contrasts of East meets West on the beach.
KeralaKerala
Kerala

Again so many beautiful colours.
KeralaKerala
Kerala

Hot hot Livvy!
KeralaKerala
Kerala

Pineapple madam, pineapple!!!...the daily chant we would hear from our little beach friend.


1st June 2007

GIRLS
Hey Livvy, I love your travel blogs!! Very inspiring, hope to get my arse to some of those places ASAP!! Are you heading to the UK at all? I will be there next year! Take care, Love Rocket.
2nd June 2007

Hi from london!
Hi Livvy, OH MY GOD you are making my feet itch! Love these blogs and lovin the photos. Nice to see your keeping the travel real! Cant wait to catch up on all your stories. Stay cool till after school my freind. Love and hugs, Lucy
5th June 2007

well done
hey sweet girl, just amazing; delighted to know you're having so much fun and keeping safe - a trip of a lifetime eh? a huge hug from me and uncle ron.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb