JEW TOWN!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
December 17th 2006
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, we walked for a while and reached an area of the city called "Jew Town" (Why couldn't they call it JEWISH TOWN, I think that sounds better). I thought I was going to see Indian Bagel Shops and Kosher Deli's on every corner. Indian children singing Hannuka songs and menorahs in the store windows. I didn't see anying like that. I did see several "Star of David's" on the buildings and was able to stand outside of the Synagogue (It was closed on Saturday). Our guide book tells us: " Originally built in 1598, the synagouge was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1662 and rebuilt two years later when the Dutch took Kochi. There is an upstairs balcony for women, who worship separately according to the community's Orthodox rites".The streets were filled with vegetarian restaurants and the same gift-shops you see everywhere in Southern India. We walked to the Jewish cemetery, but that was also closed. The day ended watching the sunset behind the massive Chinese fishing nets that line the water-front of Fort Cochin. We then saw a traditional Keralen theater show called KATAKLI.......I loved it! Tommorow we fly back to Bombay and then catch an overnight train to Arrugabad (sp?) where we will explore the Ajanta / Ellora caves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Chinese Fishing NetsThe Chinese Fishing Nets
The Chinese Fishing Nets

These were giant!!!
FIRE DANCER!FIRE DANCER!
FIRE DANCER!

Photo from the martial arts show in Kumily.
TREES!TREES!
TREES!

Giant trees in Fort Cochin!


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb